Radio Flyer Wagon

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
I bought this for the kids 20 years ago and it has been unused for 10years just sitting in the garage.

It needs a good cleaning(some light rust) and a paint job then some kids could love it like mine did.

I would like to give it to whoever is handy enough to do the restore that has kids in that age range that would love one.

This is a metal one--not plastic.

Please guarantee that it will not be on E-Bay as I could pay to have it restored and sell it myself.I would like to feel that it is bringing smiles to your kids faces and possibly to their kids faces.

Post here and we can make arrangements.

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Radio Flyer Wagon

A radio flyer wagon boy that brings back memories. I never owned one but a friend of mine did and we took that thing every were and the things we brought home including us all bruised up after our adventures. I hope you manage to give it to a child that has a grate imagination like i had.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bart, find a freecyle, yes freecycle group in your area.
Go to freecycle.org and locate one in your area.
Then advert it on there as a offer and you decide who gets it.
I have and own a group in my area with about 400 members and it goes over great.
Giving and getting all for free.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I had a radio flyer when I was a kid and that thing went everywhere and lasted forever. I now have 3 little girls and I bought them a new radio flyer-or what passes for one nowadays- within a few months the paint was peeling and it started rusting. The tires aren't as good as they used to be, either. The girls still love it though and they pull it everywhere. If I lived closer to you I'd have my hand up in the air, but SBN has a good suggestion. Nothing like donating to needy kids.
--
Stan

i386

Captain

I used to get those before I was old enough to ride a bike. I think my last one had the removable staked sides. I think they all came from Western Auto. Y'all remember that place?

aspeck

Staff member

Man, Bart, I wish I was closer to you - it would be great for the littlest aspeck! Those things are great!

studlymandingo

Commander

I used to get those before I was old enough to ride a bike. I think my last one had the removable staked sides. I think they all came from Western Auto. Y'all remember that place?

I worked at one of the last individually owned Western Autos when I was in High School in the Mid-80s.

tashasdaddy

bought one last week at a garage sale, also have one that was my kids. they actually come in handy, i load my tools in them and drag it around to the boats.

ricksrster

Commander

This time of year it is time to put away the Radio Flyer and get out the Flexible Flyer!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ah yes, the infamous Radio Flyer. I had one my dad got for me. He made tandom axles for the rear of it and made a wrecker boom also. Spent many hours playing with that rig. Coasting down a hill was real smooth with that double axle in the back. Sure wish I had it today for the grandkids to play with.

That was my video game in those days.

Good luck finding a well deserving family to donate that to Bart........SS

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My dad is currently refurbishing the one I had as a kid for my 2 month old.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stay away from freecycle. I tried it and all they did was slam me with e-mails of stuff all ready gone and when I wanted to be taken off their list I had to go to Yahoo to get them to leave me alone. Leave them alone unless you like a LOT of junk mail...ANIMAS :mad:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Stay away from freecycle. I tried it and all they did was slam me with e-mails of stuff all ready gone and when I wanted to be taken off their list I had to go to Yahoo to get them to leave me alone. Leave them alone unless you like a LOT of junk mail...ANIMAS :mad:
Not on my group they don't.
Only thing posted is wanted and offers and when something is picked up/taken, they respond to the group with such.
Don't know about the bigger citys though, might be different but my group has been featured in the local media here and have had great response from the community.
If you want to leave a group on yahoo, you simply click the button on the home page, "Leave group"
Sidebar, there are knock off groups out there that might say freecyclable etc but not the original freecycle network.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was the same freecycle group you are talking about but maybe the NorthWest Arkansas group have their heads up their butts.It took me over a month and finaly a complaint straight to yahoo to get them to remove me from their list. I would wake up to over 100 e-mails of stuff already taken.Got tired of it real quick....ANIMAL :D

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Animal, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with Freecycle. There are 3 in my area of SW Michigan (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Grand Rapids). I've given and gotten much -- both stuff and 'good vibes'. I've never had any negative experience with any of them. I have met some wonderful, caring people, though.

SBN - 1) any chance for grandkids to appreciate the wagon?
2) If not, please give Freecycle a chance.

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bart, I sent a PM last week. Did you get it. I would love to have that wagon for my 3yr old boy. I can fix it up real nice, and I'll pay for the shipping if you want to send it. I'm in Dallas, where are you?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have had quite a few of those in my short lifetime. My first one was one of those wooden stake side ones. The thing was, we lived out in the country, with an array of animals, and the ones we didn't have, the neighbors (if you could call them that - 3/4 mile hike through the woods to get to them) did.
Therefore, due to being where we lived, and what I did back then, it was more of a cargo wagon, than anything else. 100 pounds of corn (no joke) 1/2 mile up the hill from the garden, to rocks needed to build the rock wall along a portion of the driveway. We were building a house on the other side of the property, so dad would load his tools in it, and I would haul them to the house etc etc. That wagon hauled everything for a few years.
Then, when it wore out, we replaced it with one of the larger, deeper bodied metal ones that had the larger pneumatic tires. I have since gone through three of those.
Recently, my scout troop attended a campout, with a wild west theme, where we had to build a chuckwagon, and race other troops. I took the tools to the meeting in a wagon bed (after we killed them, that is what we used them for) with the plans to build a completely different style chuckwagon. The rest of the patrol liked the wagon, so we decided to use the wagon bed. I had to do some other things that night, so I left them the tools and materials for part of the meeting, and when I came back, they had a 2 x 4 frame underneath and the wheels attached to that, as they kept pulling through the bottom of the bed, where they were originally attached. It is kinda sloppy, as I wasn't there (I am a perfectionist) but structurally solid. It has plywood in the bottom, as the bed had plenty of tears in it, where the axle was bolted to, before they pulled through. I had to fabricate some of the mounts for the wheels out of 1/2 inch steel tubing, as the old ones had been damaged in the wagons overuse.
BTW, ours won:p
After the trip, I took it home, and removed the cover, and cosmetic pieces, and we have a functioning wagon again. In the past 3 weeks, it has already carried 2 cords of firewood rounds, 140 gallons of recycled water, and currently has our newest outboard on top of a pallet, on it.
Since we have 2 more beds, and sets of wheels, we will definitely make at least one more, replacing the sloppy wood frame with square tubing. We are thinking about making a really off road welding cart with one of the sets of wheels.:D

Yeah, I guess you can say I have used one of those before.:eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Animal, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with Freecycle. There are 3 in my area of SW Michigan (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Grand Rapids). I've given and gotten much -- both stuff and 'good vibes'. I've never had any negative experience with any of them. I have met some wonderful, caring people, though.

SBN - 1) any chance for grandkids to appreciate the wagon?
2) If not, please give Freecycle a chance.
Yea, same here.
I belong to 3 different groups and it's all been good.
No, grandkids have all they need to play with.:D
And yea, if all else fails, give freecycle a chance.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Several of ya talk about the last of the independently owned Western Autos be gone. We had one close about 25 miles from me last year and another (18 miles) is still open- Jacksons Western Auto in Mexia Texas.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, same here.
I belong to 3 different groups and it's all been good.
No, grandkids have all they need to play with.:D
And yea, if all else fails, give freecycle a chance.

I belong to two frecycle groups in my area. I've always had good luck with them.