Pleaseee Help

funkypowdere

Recruit
Hi all i have a problem :mad: like everyone else. Its with my 1981 35hp evinrude i have read a few topics witch are slightly the same but i thought i would post my own. ok it seems like its skipping about mid throttle but my dad recons its doing it at low revs now to. Brand new spark plugs (champion plugs),new fuel/oil runing 50:1,tryed squeesing the fuel bulb no help,its not cavitation and thats it i think. Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pleaseee Help

fastrated <br />Does it run well at all other speeds? Can you define "Skipping" a little better? Is it a miss where you drop speed or does it just stutter a bit? More info please.

rwise

Captain

or does the engine race like a car with the clutch sliping?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Also, had any work recently been done on motor. Particularly ignition work?

funkypowdere

Recruit

Hmmm i just purchased the boat so i dont know if any work has been done sorry as for it skipping so to speak, it does it quickly like on off on off and the boat jerks/loses speed because of it,so i think its safe to say that its a miss not a stutter. If thats any help and the engine does not race. <br /> Thanks for all your help Guys

rwise

Captain

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, weak fuel pump, air leak between fuel pump and tank, clogged fuel filter. Have you tried another tank?<br /><br />Richard

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Fastrated, look at the ignition coils and see if you notice any cracks in them or places on the block near the coils that may be black from spark jumping from the coil to ground. You can also pull the flywheel and look at the power coil too to see what kind of shape it may be in. Plug wires in good shape?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fasterated.... Regardless of what problem you might have, always check the compression first which should be in the 100 psi range (approx) and even on both cylinders.<br /><br />Second, rig up some kind of spark tester whereas you can test the spark (with the s/plugs removed). Set the gap on the tester to 7/16". The spark should jump that gap with a strong blue flame. Note to test the spark at various throttle settings (which changes the timing under the flywheel) as this would flex any possible frayed wires.<br /><br />The spark plugs should be Champion s/plugs, either QL77JC4 or L77JC4 with the gap set to .040 (the "Q" is a resistor plug).<br /><br />A gradual loss of power (back and forth) would be fuel related. A sudden power loss (back and forth) such as you describe would be ignition related.<br /><br />Let us know what you find pertaining to compression and spark etc.

funkypowdere

Recruit

ok i got alot of things to try and look for ill do my best and ill get back to you all. thanks again