new decking over old decking?

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
1978 larson, 17.5 ft bowrider, deck has soft spots. pulled out carpet and have rotten wood and soft spots in areas. the deck appears to be glassed in on the sides, not sure how it attaches to the stringers as no fasteners are seen. has anyone removed their rotten wood and patched or just placed a new deck over the old one?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: new decking over old decking?

Ayuh,.........

Lots of Us here have removed the Rotten Wood,+ Replaced it with New.......
But,......
I think very few of Us have just Band-aided a new deck Over the Rotten Junk.....
I mean,...... Why drag around all that excess Weight for no reason.......:rolleyes:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to keep that boat, the old floor must come out. The fibreglass shell over the wood can be deceiving, seeming firm, but underneath is usually completely rotted. If the wood is rotted, you can bet the supports are as well. The worst problem is the transom is usually rotted at the same time as the floor. BTW, I feel your pain, I have been there, pulled up the carpet to find a mess.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've looked at quite a few boats over the years that were "fixed" with a 4x8-foot band-aid. The plywood they added did nothing but hide the real issue - waterlogged foam, rotted stringers - in addition to the punky floor... If you're keeping the boat, fix it once, fix it right.

- Scott

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bought this one for motor and trailer, gave boat away. it had 3 layers of floor.

Attachments

• MVC-244S.JPG
    MVC-244S.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MVC-245S.JPG
    MVC-245S.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I just got done with this project on my 88 Four Winns, I had done a partial repair a few year earlier but the full extent of the rot became apparent back in 2005, so I cut out the old floor, had the 'glass shop do the stringers for me, and installed the new floor myself. Big job but you have something that will be better than 90% of the older boats out there, unless they have been stored out of the rain most of their lives. Don't bother with a band aid lay over job, it's not going to do much except make it harder to fix it right, or pass the problem onto some poor guy in the future......
BTW, on the topic of construction, I have been told that the old fashioned wood n glass construction, properly done, will be superior in some ways to the newer composites that are hyping 'no wood', the guy who owns the boatyard I use tells me that the newer boats don't ride as well and the glass is thinner.