Pictures of your OMC's???

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Pictures of your OMC's???

I bought an old plywood 50's boat this fall cheap... Beat up and it needs work... It'll never look that good but I'll give it a shot... Then I'll drop a nice 18hp metal head on her :)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I got that price list from the guy I bought my Whirlwind (just like the one in the pic) from. He was about the fourth or fifth owner of the boat and all had been on the same lake in New Jersey. He had all the original stuff, Including an owners manual and price list for the 1958 35hp Super Seahorse Johnson that was on it. Here's another hoot - that motor cost $635 brand new!

I love those boats because my grandfather, who practically raised me, had one. I remember boating in it from my earliest years. It originally had an 18hp Evinrude on it, then a Johnson 28hp (we thought that was a huge engine!), then a Chrysler 35hp and, finally, a Johnson 40hp.

I would love to get my hands on another one but wouldn't use it as a "daily cruiser." They are very strong but there is too much junk in the water here so putting a hole in the hull would be a very real danger. It is also a boat that I would not put on and off a trailer as much as several times a week, as I do my current boat. The real fun with a boat like this would be to go to the wooden boat shows & fesitvals with it!

Just for more fun, here's the Johnson price list ...

1958JohnsonPricesFront.jpg

1958JohnsonPricesBack.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Cool. I see that the electric start option was $80 on the 18hp. That's about what it costs today to find the starter and bracket used :)

So you have a whirlwind with the original '58 35hp on it?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, the status is "had." When I bought it, the original 35hp Super Seahorse had been replaced with a Johnson 40hp. The paperwork that I have is the original stuff that the first owner received with the boat and passed on to successive owners. I wish I did still own the boat but I let it go a long time ago in a fit of stupidity.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

jbjennings: What make is that boat?

Looks a lot like "Yellow Jacket" molded plywood of the 50-60's era. Roy Rodgers bought into that company and somewhere on here is an old merc or YJ site that shows him and his family in a 16' with the new then Merc Mark 75. He has a boat full.

We had them when I was a kid and they were a fine boat. Take a 15' with a 25-35 OMC or 40 Merc and they were a great bay fishing boat.

I understand those hulls were made in Canada and shipped to the boat mfgrs here in the US. All you got was the roughed out hull from there. No transom, deck, gunnels, stringers, wood finishing of any sort, or nothing.

Mark

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I just surfed a bit on the Yellow Jackets - very similar to the Whirlwind and a pretty boat too. I love the old cold molded plywood boats because they are light and very strong, not to mention beautiful. Sadly, they would be hard to duplicate now because most seemed to have been built of mahogany. While the wood is probably still available through specialty dealers, the cost of it would make the boats prohibitively expensive for most people.

bralex

Seaman Apprentice

Finallly able to get a pic of my OMC of the correct size. It's a "93" 40hp, pushing a Lowe 1600 bass boat.

Attachments

• 238812799_801241593_0.jpeg
    238812799_801241593_0.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 239347750_803162379_0.jpeg
    239347750_803162379_0.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The correct size? They're not expandable thumbnails...

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you don't need to make them as small as the thumbnails look they shrink down a little when you upload them:)

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is my restored 1968 Alpex Sea Aira with a non-restored 1964 Speedifour 75 hp.

Attachments

• PA280016.JPG
    PA280016.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PA280025.JPG
    PA280025.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain

Your boat is very nice looking.....the gloss is excellent and it has a very "clean" look, of course it IS spotless. That motor is very distinctive--are you going to restore it? How does it run? Paint on the trailer in the works? Waiting for warm weather?
Anyway, if you restored that boat you should be PLEASED with the outcome...I thought it was new when I first looked at the pic because I 'm unfamiliar with that style boat and didn't take a close look at first at the description.
Liked it,
JBJ

Pony

Rear Admiral

Here are a few pictures of my 1962 Fisherman that I restored with the help of some here......

2832.jpg

2833.jpg

2860.jpg

2889.jpg

2878.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

Redid the motor as well.....

EngineBefore%20(Small).jpg

Powerhead%20(Small).jpg

LowerPanBefore%20(Small).jpg

LowerPanAfter%20(Small).jpg

DressedPowerhead2%20(Small).JPG

bralex

Seaman Apprentice

you don't need to make them as small as the thumbnails look they shrink down a little when you upload them:)

Sorry guys! I have files of the same pics that are to big for the forum. I'll try to retake the pics and get them on. Is there another way to do this? I sure am enjoying this thread. The old restored motors are great!

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice

Not old engines but how about some new 2008's
IMG_1048small.jpg

IMG_1049small.jpg

bralex

Seaman Apprentice

Eye candy. like walking through a candy store. I'll take one that says "70" on the side!

jbjennings

Captain

Pony,
You went to a lot of effort on that old 5.5------and it SHOWS! Any reason you restored that one? I like to hear the stories behind the restos. ,i.e. it was grandads and went fishin' with it when I was a kid, etc. None of mine were from a relative, I just always liked 'em and wanted one when I was a kid.
Very nice job,
JBJ

Bralex, when I get pictures off my camera and load them on my computer, I right click on em and edit them and such, then when I go to save it, I select the "resize" option and select WEB BLOG size or EMAIL size. that way it compresses the picture and doesn't take up so much space, and doesn't take all day for it to load, since I'm on dial-up.
JBJ

Last edited:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Sorry guys! I have files of the same pics that are to big for the forum. I'll try to retake the pics and get them on. Is there another way to do this? I sure am enjoying this thread. The old restored motors are great!

I use irfanview.com to resize. It's great free software that does a lot.