Turbo I or Solas HR Titan 3 SS Prop ?

rizzo66

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI and am wondering if there is a marked performance difference between these 2 propellers. I am looking for a all around prop for wakeboarding and cruising

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Turbo I or Solas HR Titan 3 SS Prop ?

I believe a lexor and turbo would be a more even match, i ran a turbo once, good hole shot held a turn very well and a fast prop.

How big is your boat aka length and weight?

rizzo66

Cadet

22'8 and 3450 lbs a Larson lxi 228 i am running a ballistic 21 now at 5100 rpm trimmed 1/2 out

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

1.http://www.iboats.com/mall/propfind...id=645&**********=119745376&*******=086062693

Lots of midrange very tourqy prop

http://www.iboats.com/mall/propfind...id=645&**********=119745376&*******=086062693

That prop was faster the bay pro, held a turn very well, not as much midrange but 1.5 mph faster.

Of course you could always jump to a enertia and get it all, but there pricey.....and you might be able to trun a 22 inch if your tach is on.......which i believe it to be off a bit. You should have a rev limiter set up @ 5000 rpm.......I test one out before going that size though... 22 that is, that's a bit of a reach i think.....;)

Now if i could find a good used 22 for my old tub i'd be all over it........umm maybe..:cool:

walleyehed

Admiral

The Turbo1 would require a drop in pitch to get the same RPM, but it will be faster.
A 19P T1 will pull the same RPM as most 21P's at the same or greater speed.
On my boat, the T1 will run just under 3" higher than a balistic before venting....on an I/O we don't have the ability to raise and lower the outdrive vertically so we need to depend on prop design to "fit in" with the natural balance of the boat.

rizzo66

Cadet

That is why i'm sruggling with this. I have always driven Outboards and you could trim them and raise them till i had the performance i wanted. I have a 21 ballistic i tweaked to get to 5000 but the hole shot is not what im looking for am thinking between these two and leaning to the titan unless i can find a good deal on a Turbo- I have also had a fleeting thought of going 4 blade
yes or no ? the expertise on this board is far greater than mine

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

WH has a far better understanding of these thing's than i do, but a 4 blade stilletto would do you well In midrange and your engine should have the power to turn it nicely.

rizzo66

Cadet

TRhanks for the input Ijust ordered a a Stiletto BAY PRO II
20 p will give the results

walleyehed

Admiral

Keep us posted on your results...I'm interested in the speed comparison...I know what the BP will do for hole-shot and mid-range..

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I am a bit concerned that you may have a 1.60 drive ratio, do you have 1.66 or a 1.60 .........it make's a diff..or might this will be intresting

rizzo66

Cadet

I dont know but will find out.
Tried out last night and got very good results. I dont have all the specific numbers but hole shot was very good and handled like a dream. I could have probably used 18p rather 20p for my RPMs were down and speed was a couple mph slower. I was more interested in the handling which was superb

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes the bay pro's are a very good prop, if your rpm has dropped below 4800 call stilletto and ask for a exchange to a 18 it should cost you 25 bif one's

Pretty smooth are they not and nice mdirange...

rizzo66

Cadet

I will do that on Monday thanks for the tip. I have only been able to run it a couple hours but i am amazed at the smoothness in the midrange and the consistency of pull pulling wakeboarders.

rizzo66

Cadet

The drive ratio is 1.60
I spoke with stilletto and they are exchanging it. hopefully the snow stays away for another month.

rizzo66

Cadet

After spending some time using the 18 bay pro II i am totally satisfied with the performance- the hole shot and midrange is fantastic- I am not an engineer so i don't have detailed specs but the 21 Ballistic is about 4 MPH faster. for wakeboarding , skiing and all-around the top end trade-off is well worth the lower end performance.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Good for you, the time we spend @ wot is very limited anyway. Do you get a lot of lift out of the prop, i know there smooth and they do have great midrange punch a bit like a 4 barrel carb kickn in..:cool:

rizzo66

Cadet

The lift is very good- spent all day with a boat full and 1200 lbs of ballast and it is definately the right prop - with only my wife and I in the boat I need something in the 21p if I'm looking for speed