Anyone ever changed the Spark Plugs on a Ford 5.4L Triton V8?

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 03 Expedition has close to 75K on it and its probably a good time to change the plugs before they blow out of the heads. What a goofy design! Looks to be a nightmare to get to these but I'm up for the challenge. Any one done it before?

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anyone ever changed the Spark Plugs on a Ford 5.4L Triton V8?

do them just about daily is yours a 3 valve or just the 2 valve

Manipulator

Glad to hear that. I have the two valve design. The plugs are suppose to be 100K plugs. Someone told me not to wait that long as sometimes, the threads will come out with the plug (few years back a mechanic told me this). He suggested doing them at 75K and to use anti-seize compound. He was the one who also told me that the Ford trucks and Expeditions love to blow plugs right out of the head ruining the head and trashing the coil pack. Typically, the number 3 plug. Not sure if I have the newer heads that was suppose to correct this. I've heard of a few 03 Expedition owners blowing plugs.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

he was right about the 2 valves blowing the plugs out if they are overtightened but its not as common as you would think the way they make it sound I don't recommend antiseize on plugs ever . before you begin get a 7 mm swivel socket for the coils unless you are gonna pull he fuel rail off makes life alot easier . then get a locking extension so the socket comes out when you put the new plug in. the # 3 ans # 4 are the worse ones to do if you start there the next worse is # 7 due to the fuel regulator . disconnect all the injectors and take the harness loose off the valve cover gives alot of extra room. i can do them now in about 20 minutes but the first time be ready for about 3 hours. any ?'s i will answer as soon as i can

Manipulator

Oh I am looking at this to be an all day event. So no seize compound and no over tighting. Looks to be a hard place to get the torque wrench in there. I probably will remove the rails if it makes it a little easier, I guess I will have to have a look at all this once I get the shroud off the motor to see how complicated it is.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

just tighten them like you would on an outboard boat motor the problem is there is only about 7 threads in the head . one other thing i would recommend is to use motorcraft plugs seen some of these others cause coil problems. put some dielectric grease on the boots where they go through the intake and inside for the plug keeps moisture out and saves coils also

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

the reason i say no seize is if the vibrate loose from the lubricant they can also blow out

KRS

Banned

IF the threads get stripped and you spit a plug (happened to me), I was able to successfully repair mine with a "Big-Sert" kit, available on the internet from a company in california.

WAAAAY better than a heli-coil. It's a solid insert, made for this triton head.

KRS

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

KRS ford just released a bullitin about inserts that they approve sounds like the same thing you mentioned

puddle jumper

Captain

The only thing to add is blow the top of the engine off around the coils. If a small rock happens to fall down by the spark plug it can be nasty to get out.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The only thing to add is blow the top of the engine off around the coils. If a small rock happens to fall down by the spark plug it can be nasty to get out.

And if you do get something into the cylinder it will destroy the engine. Don't ask me how I know. :mad:

IOSLVR

Seaman

Good question Manipulator. My wife has an 03 Exp. with 55,000 so at least I'll have a heads up, glad I checked this thread.

QC

Supreme Mariner

What a mind blower. I was literally gonna ask this today, same truck, same year, 5.4. We're in this one together Manipulator . . You first :p

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

seriously guys they aren't bad at all just take your time and have a cold beer handy you may need it after the back 4 lol i know i did 4 f150s today and i am stopping for a couple

oh-u812?

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had good luck using a universal drive and some 1/4" extensions along with some yoga techniques. Ford has a nice tool to get the job done it's a long socket with some grips on the end, I think its $50. Whatever you do, I would def. put motorcraft back in it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

What a mind blower. I was literally gonna ask this today, same truck, same year, 5.4. We're in this one together Manipulator . . You first :p

Make that the 3 muskateers. My wifes (same everything) has 94000 on it now so its getting close.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mine's at 99,927 :eek: Anybody else had their front power windows go out? I finally got a rear end to last more than 15K . . . Seriously though, other than that and a blower fan relay, it has been a good truck. Good power, and I love the seats. The flexibility makes towing with three kids and a friend pretty easy. I can always find some combo to let me load some stuff somewhere.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

qc if you could only get 15k out of a rear diff you need to find a better tech to overhaul it . but if you guys were closer i would say we would get together so friday night iwould do the plugs we could drink a few beers and then off to the lake in the morning .

QC

Supreme Mariner

'03 Expeditions had a known prob in the rear end. First year independent rear suspension and they were losing clutch packs . . .

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

i did a bunch of them but never had a come back on one