Filling holes in transom

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to fill some holes in this transom, but I will probably be redoing the transom in a year.

Would 4200 pushed into the holes be adequite for a year or less? I also have marine tex but didn't want to waste it on this.

Another option would be a dowel sealed in with 4200.

I would probably be using seacast so it needs to be something that can be easily removed.

I am going to use the boat with a small tiller outboard to get some lake fishing done. This will be a temporary fix.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tholes1.jpg
    tholes1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • tholes2.jpg
    tholes2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tholes3.jpg
    tholes3.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tholes4.jpg
    tholes4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander
Re: Filling holes in transom

You could use a pan head bolt and a nylon washer on the outside and a nylon and brass or galvanized washer on the inside....same kind used to hold the tank to the toilet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Live near a hardware store or a walmart.... 2 part epoxy that you knead between your fingers. Walmart sells a marine grade that dries white. Cut off a chunk, mix it up and force it into the hole. You can leave the outside pretty smooth. I have used it on many transom holes from fishfinders to broken pitot's.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Live near a hardware store or a walmart.... 2 part epoxy that you knead between your fingers. Walmart sells a marine grade that dries white. Cut off a chunk, mix it up and force it into the hole. You can leave the outside pretty smooth. I have used it on many transom holes from fishfinders to broken pitot's.

I have used it before. Would it be easy to get out when I redo the transom?

Would 4200 be a bad choice for this?

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

4200 might not hold! Now 5200 might, but I would still use the epoxy putty stuff you knead in your fingers. If you don't have a Wal-Mart I know Home Depot sells the same stuff under a different label. It's in the adhesives section with all of the super glues and epoxy gels. It's called Aquamend, and it can be drilled out once you are finished with it. It's not that much trouble to get out once you redrill the holes. It may even make a better fit.

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a couple of questions for you? 1.) Is it leaking now? 2.) Are the holes above or below the waterline. It looks like they are above the waterline. If not leaking and over the waterline and you are going to redo it in the next year or so leave it alone and just monitor it. If it starts to leak then worry about it. Also being as you are looking at redoing it fairly shortly I would just use SS Bolts and nuts with nylon washers as a temp fix.

Last edited: