About to give up...

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
After being outside in 90* weather all day trying to assemble the engine, install it and align it, I'm now trying to get the outdrive back on. I've followed the manual but can't get the outdrive to go any further in than just past the UJoints. Yes, the input shaft is going in/thru the gimbal... It just ALMOST gets to the studs on the bellhousing and then it won't go any further... Everything is in forward and the shift slide is in the correct position (even have the merc outdrive install tool).

Any ideas? I'm really at my wits end with it all right now.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: About to give up...

After being outside in 90* weather all day trying to assemble the engine, install it and align it, I'm now trying to get the outdrive back on. I've followed the manual but can't get the outdrive to go any further in than just past the UJoints. Yes, the input shaft is going in/thru the gimbal... It just ALMOST gets to the studs on the bellhousing and then it won't go any further... Everything is in forward and the shift slide is in the correct position (even have the merc outdrive install tool).

Any ideas? I'm really at my wits end with it all right now.

Old Chinese saying: Have a beer or 2 charlie and chill for a moment.........maybe a burbon too..;)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=198147&highlight=engine+alignment

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

True, but I'm running out of day light and I've gotta be on the road tomorrow to pick the wife up at the airport which is 2 hours away.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I suggest that when you get it to the point where it won't go anymore that you go in the engine compartment & feel what is happening where the input shaft meets the coupler......;)
I missed the part where the alignment tool went in easily & all that, so I'm assuming that is the case......:)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You may need to turn the prop ccw to get them splines to line up......
& yes, I know it is hard to do.....
You will need to put the prop on for that, though not securely....;)

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

It finally went on, but even though I KNOW it was in forward, I am getting that signature "click click click click" when spinning the prop... Ugh.

It would seem that I did have the engine properly aligned, the shaft just wasn't turning initially. I felt it drop into place on the coupler and I gave it the "Mercury kick" and it went on.... but.... it looks like its gonna have to come off again... :mad:

MikDee

Banned

It should click, click, click, in one direction, and lock in the other?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then maybe its fine... I'll check it tomorrow. I know the little 'foot' seated in the 'shoe'.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

that's just the clutch dog ratcheting... its normal. In fact in forward gear the prop should ratchet clockwise (sounds counterintuitive i know... but it's the way it works) and vice versa in reverse.
Whenever i mount up a lower, because there are so many things to line up sometimes, I get it mounted then i hold it in place with just 1 or 2 bolts, and i'll spin the prop to make sure its in gear (or out depending on the drive) and i'll jump in the boat and make sure neutral, and reverse are engageing properly.
Its sucks to have everything torqued down to find out that you were off by 1 spline (which is easy to do) and have to break it all down again.