2000 Sundancer 290: Any Opinions

darkmann

Cadet
I posted this in the general forum but seems to be more appropriate here.

I would like to have opinions on a 2000 Sundancer 290 I'm about to purchase. I will have it surveyed next weekend. The boat looks very clean and seems to have every available option, including a generator. It has the 260Hp twin motors. The asking price was in the mid 70's but I was able to negotiate to mid 60's - not that it means much!!! I appreciate your input.

simsd

Recruit
Re: 2000 Sundancer 290: Any Opinions

I wish you would get some responses because we are thinking about the same thing too.

Hey,

Darkman...I'm getting the impression this forum is more for older Sea Rays (Pre-1999). Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just the impression I get.

darkmann

Cadet

simsd; said:
I wish you would get some responses because we are thinking about the same thing too.

Hey,

Darkman...I'm getting the impression this forum is more for older Sea Rays (Pre-1999). Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just the impression I get.

Yep, I was hoping for more responses also. In any case, there were a lot of responses when I first posted this in the Boating Topics and Questions forum. Do a search on me as thread starter. Maybe that'll help.

In any case, later this afternoon I will be on sea trials with the boat, along with a surveyor and some other people. I will report whatever I find out, with pictures.

simsd

Recruit

Helloooo.....anybody out there? Knock knock......Now is your chance to speak up.

darkmann

Cadet

simsd; said:
Helloooo.....anybody out there? Knock knock......Now is your chance to speak up.

OK, wow, what a ride. The sea trial went very well and I can say this boat is a great boat. Whatever you do, get a surveyor to go over the machine. My surveyor was extremely thorough - this guy went through every single item on the boat!!!! I'm happy. I pick up the boat on Saturday and let's go boating!!!

darkmann

Cadet
WoooHooooo!!!! I love this Boat!!!!!!

WoooHooooo!!!! I love this Boat!!!!!!

This boat is simply awesome. I took her out today and cruising down the Wicomico river with my wife and kids was a sweet pleasure. Getting out of the slip and docking for gas and pump-out was fine. Backing into the slip at the end of the trip was not easy at all - I had to summons the help of a new dock-side friend (a boat builder, Sea Ray owner and Mercruiser mechanic!!!) and he guided me in as if he had the controls in his hands. That was a very neat experience.

I do have a couple of questions:

1 - there's some water in the bilge. Very small, not even close to excite the bilge pumps. Is that OK. I cleaned in there last week and wasn't expecting any more fluid down there. I did wash the deck some during the week, but I'm just curious.

2 - this morning b4 the river ride, I had to add gear lube. I called the shop and they said that the lube is low because the drive unit was taken out and inspected/serviced prior to releasing the boat to me. They explained that during that service, the oil is drained and refilled but that after a few hours of driving the oil level will drop due to cavitation, and that this may happen a couple more times after today's refill. They advised me to monitor and let them know if it continues to drop so they can take care of it. After my 2hr river run, the oil in the reservoir dropped again to the "Refill" level. Obviously this isn't normal. What do ou folks think?

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far a the water in the bilge, I wouldn't worry. Most boats seep a little around the transom seal. Mine does the same thing, not enough to get to the bilge pump. I probably get about 2-3 quarts in there but it never gets more than that unless the kids are swimming and getting in and out the boat and jumping off. The drive oil getting low, hmmm I guess I can understand what the shop is saying but in my opinion, I think you may have a leak. I would top it off, go fo a spin and check again. If its low, have them investigate it. I think they should have told you thisd up front, how were you to know? Luckily you checked it.

helodriver

Cadet

Hi Darkman,
My wife and I are looking at the same exact boat. Are you still happy with yours? Anything we should look out for ?
Thanks,
Helodriver

f4ganimal

Cadet

We have owned a 2001 290 for 2 years and love it! It has twin 5.0L EFI Mercs and genset. Amazing ride, cruising on-plane or putting around. My first boat...had a boating friend say...might as well buy a Sea Ray, you will eventually end up in one...
animal

marineguy

Cadet

We have owned a 2001 290 for 2 years and love it! It has twin 5.0L EFI Mercs and genset. Amazing ride, cruising on-plane or putting around. My first boat...had a boating friend say...might as well buy a Sea Ray, you will eventually end up in one...
animal

Please, tell more...
I'm thinking of getting something similar. We have three little boys (1,3,5yrs) and thoughts of one more. I'm looking for something that we can take weekend trips on (live in coastal NC), but something that's not too big to trailer. I don't think a 260 or 270 would be big enough to sleep everyone (maybe now, but not in 4 years when they're all a foot taller) A 280 would probably be ideal. A 290 is definitely at the upper limit of my budget and towing capacity.
Do you trailer it? How many people do you carry?
Thanks

magster65

Commander

I like 'em...
Mine's not the same boat but similar... this is what I get with 2 x 5.0 mpi / bravo 3's; about 20 gph (10 each) at 30 mph for 1.5 mpg. It's on plane quickly... trimmed down and no tabs. Planes quickly even with full fuel and water with a medium load load of 'stuff' and 4 people. The trim tabs are for balance only and would be fine without them. I've had it to 45 mph @ 4900 rpm... there may be a little more speed there cuz' there's a bit of growth on my drives (fix that asap). With V-8's the boat feels quite 'sporty' but with V-6's it does not (been in both) but they will do the job.