To clean inside Aluminum Fuel tank.

James R

Commander
This below deck tank has been removed to replace the deck.
The tank is in good shape except that it containes a lot of shelac from old gas. The only stuff I am aware of that will remove shelac is the chemical in a carb' cleaning kit. It would be awfully expensive to soak this tank in that.
Can anyone tell me how I can go about cleaning this tank without a huge expense?
Thanks.

iwombat

Captain
Re: To clean inside Aluminum Fuel tank.

Is the tank coming out?

If so, kerosene a section of chain and a lot of shaking will do it.

If not, a good soak in paint thinner will probably do about as good as anything else you can dump in there.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful !!

I don't know how old your boat or tank is, but I took out my aluminum tank to clean it and opened up pandora's box.......

After I cleaned it, I ended up with many little spots on the bottom that seeped gas out of it.
What was weird was I filled it with water and had no leaks, but with gas, it would seep, that is how small the bad spots were.
I ended up having a new bottom welded in it.

After you clean it, pressure test it with air ( about 3 PSI ) and spray some soapy water all around it many times and look for leaks. just my $.02

wncrjb

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Handfulls of new nuts and bolts..... buy a good size box and use sone kerosene...... you will be able to retrieve them after the cleaning and even use a magnet.

Just don't go crazy shaking it. The cleaning will take more than a 10 minute job.... let the kerosene coat the bottom about 1/4"

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I'd like to suggest regular paint remover, feel it will attack the coating well enough that it can be rinsed away with detergent/water.
If you have some handy, try a small area.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

E85 gasoline has made the news as a very good gas tank cleaner!
No agitation required either.
And if you filter it after letting soak the inside of you tank for a week or two you can burn it in your lawn mower.

Gas is thinner than water and will leak out of a tank where water will not.
As you have found out.
Remember the funnels you can buy with the brass screen in the bottom that lets gas thru but not water?

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fresh gasoline whether it be E-85 or E-10 gas. Ethanol in gasoline acts like a solvent and will clean the inside of your tank. Put the fresh gas in and shake the tank a lot. Until your arms fall off. Try that first before you get involved in nuts, bolts, thinner, etc. Then definitely have it pressure tested.