1972 50HP Johnson Hydro-Electric

asianbandit

Cadet
I am new to the boating world and recently purchaced a 15 foot fiberglass fishing vessel. The boat came with a 1972 50HP Johnson Hydro-Electric motor. I was told that the motor had been garaged for the last 20+ years. I decided that it was to much trouble and too big to put back on the boat. I really just wanted to trade for a 10-20HP outboard. I posted it on Craigslist for $400 and many people called and were interested in the Lower Unit. I really wanted to even trade for a 10-20HP. None had anything to trade.

One fellow came by and took a look at it and wired and gased it up and it 'turned over' with no problem. We checked the plugs and they were firing off fine and the prop was turning. It would not crank over and stay on, which is not good for the motor anyway I hear, without water of course.

My two questions are..

1. Are the carbs just needing to be replaced/cleaned to fire her up?
2. How much is it worth, it looks really good condition wise? I looked on E-bay and saw the lower-unit selling for $350 by itself.

asianbandit

Cadet
Re: 1972 50HP Johnson Hydro-Electric

I have read that article before. That requires $, Time, and Experience which I do not have right now.

What about the second question? How much is it worth in its current condition?

Don S.

Cadet

The reason for people wanting the L/U is because the Prop shaft is EXSPENSIVE new.

freddyray21

Commander

maybe the prop shaft but more the solenoids in the lower unit. they are really expensive. Lower unit is worth more than the motor.

Don S.

Cadet

maybe the prop shaft but more the solenoids in the lower unit. they are really expensive. Lower unit is worth more than the motor.

Hadn't priced those, I know the Propshaft for my '71 100HP Hydro-Electric shift is $866 new.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are better off selling it right out. dealers don't want them for trade ins. the lower units and parts are hard to find. and those that have these motors have to scavage for parts. the solenoids are no longer available.

asianbandit

Cadet

Hadn't priced those, I know the Propshaft for my '71 100HP Hydro-Electric shift is $866 new.

you are better off selling it right out. dealers don't want them for trade ins. the lower units and parts are hard to find. and those that have these motors have to scavage for parts. the solenoids are no longer available.

If anybody you know is interested in the motor in TN, MS, or AR area. Just call me @ 901-438-0240 or click this link for pics and information.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/401568311.html