Hull modification question

canwest

Recruit
I recently bought this welded aluminum boat, it's former owner had welded this strang lip to both sides of the hull. When cutting through a wave it seems to cause the boat to dig into the wave instead of riding over it, feels very strange like the bow is going to stuff into the wave. I'm thinking of cutting it off, however I'm worried they might have added it for some reason unknown to me. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• 18ft ocean sport (Small).jpg
    18ft ocean sport (Small).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Hull modification question

DW831_1.jpg

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

You don't cut aluminum with a standard grinder as pictured. It just gums up the stone and not much else. You will need to use a carbide blade of some sort.

canwest

Recruit

Why would someone add something like this to a boat? I think it should come off. I'm going to use this.

Attachments

• sawzall.jpg
    sawzall.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

The only reason I can think of, is if the feller did a lot of trolling, and used that to keep a straighter course or something, but that doesn't sound right. But, it seems it only would help at displacement speeds.

thinksun

Seaman Apprentice

1. for looking mean (see pic)
or
2. for breaking ice

Attachments

• 18ft%20ocean%20sport%20%28Small%29.jpg
    18ft%20ocean%20sport%20%28Small%29.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander

It looks like it would be pushing the front of the boat down. He should have at least tapered it up towards the top of the bow. Maybe you can just modify his work instead of fighting the whole length of it.