Should I even think about a PULL STRING?

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice
Just because my 115hp evinrude has a flywheel with a notch for manually pull starting :eek:, should I dare try it? ? :D

Is an 80 inch string tooooooo long. :rolleyes: how many times should it wrap around the flywheel?? :eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I even think about a PULL STRING?

i have started a 115 with the rope when much younger. don't know if i could go it now. you should have the rope onboard, incase of an emergency. there not that hard to start, if properly tuned. 1 1/2 wraps. don't left anyone stand behind you, or they will get smacked with the rope. practice.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Carry something just in case...ya get craphhouse fulla energy when the starter fails, and the dam is 200 yards ahead, or some Tanker coming at ya

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd rather have a high torque cordless drill with a socket drive and a socket that fits the flywheel nut.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as a late teenager we use to start a 69 115 with a rope when the battery was dead, we had to ski. didn't have a charger, when dad would get home from work, we would just swapped the battery in dads 3 speed pick up. take the good battery, then push start the truck to charge the dead one. the good ole days.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I yanked my old Tower Of Power XS 150 6 cyl...
(is the world getting wimpy?...oh, that right...great legs running around the overpriced health club ..(always wondered if ya should just run there and back...'stead of driving..save the money)...and little lifting iron for upper body strenght...grew up racing dirtbikes and manhandling Harleys...builds great upper strenght..and these kids on quads nowadays?...don't arm wrestle'em

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it all comes down to the fact "do you HAVE to start it?" if the answer is yes, you can and will do it, you will be surprised what you can do when you HAVE to, like a dead battery 20 miles from shore, no one around and darkness falling, trust me, you could almost pull start a Tractor if your life depended on it, it is not much fun but I have done it a few times on big motors, and as mentioned do not have anyone near you when you do, because you will either whip the cr@p out them, or smack them with your elbow, also do not have the rope too long, if it starts when the rope is still on the flywheel it will whip around like a 115HP weed wacker! and make sure you have EVERYTHING set, like key ON, manual choke ON, safety stop lanyard in place all those small things need to be taken care of!