Fuel filter? Where are the usually located?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Title speaks for itself. Is there a standard place they are located?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel filter? Where are the usually located?

Usually they are very near the fuel pump......;)

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I popped the covers on the two holes in my floor and thought maybe I'd see one in there.

Is it possible mine didn't come with one? Not likely, I'd bet.

What specifically would I be looking for?

stug

Cadet

I believe my only fuel filter is located on my carb. i have a 87 3.0L merc. I dont see anything else on the pressure side on the fuel system. Its the large nut located where the fuel goes into your carb. Remove the fuel compression fitting remove the larger back nut off carb and Abracadabra, a fuel filter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Merc 3.0L engines have never come with a water seperating fuel filter as OEM equipment. If there is one, it will be located by plumbing between the fuel tank and the engine fuel pump. Follow the hose, if there is one it could be anywhere (including the transom).
If you follow the hose from the engine to the tank and don't find one, you don't have one and should install one.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Merc 3.0L engines have never come with a water seperating fuel filter as OEM equipment. If there is one, it will be located by plumbing between the fuel tank and the engine fuel pump. Follow the hose, if there is one it could be anywhere (including the transom).
If you follow the hose from the engine to the tank and don't find one, you don't have one and should install one.

I have 2 access holes in the floor, neither of which show much of anything other than fuel hose fittings. The second one looks likes probably my fuel gauge sending unit, but no visible filter. I'll take some pics tomorrow and hopefully someone will spot it.

I know it doesn't have a water/fuel one but a regular fuel one, I'd think it does/should.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe my only fuel filter is located on my carb. i have a 87 3.0L merc. I dont see anything else on the pressure side on the fuel system. Its the large nut located where the fuel goes into your carb. Remove the fuel compression fitting remove the larger back nut off carb and Abracadabra, a fuel filter.

Can you take a pic of what you mean?

stug

Cadet

tommorow i can, its dark here. and ive drank about 15 beers :p

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you get a service manual. All these questions you have on this forum are easily answered by looking in the manual.
There is a filter in the fuel pump, one in the carb under the fuel line fitting, and possibly a fuel/water seperating filter somewhere, but like I said earlier, follow the hose to find it, cause there is no way of knowing if or where it would be.
Look on ebay, you need OEM service manual #10 for your engine and I gave you a link to #6 for your drive in another post.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Remove this nut and there should be a filter behind it.

y38v_1f.jpg

stug

Cadet

touche, Thats the one i was talking of..

Don, are there filters located within the fuel pump itself?

I dont see any area which looks like a filter may be hiding down there

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If it has the origional style fuel pump with the removable canister housing there should be one in it.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you get a service manual. All these questions you have on this forum are easily answered by looking in the manual.

In time, yes, I plan to. For now, I'm a struggling guy trying to make ends meet and happened upon a cheap boat that has some issues and am trying to resolve them or at least discover them w/o spending too much $$ doing it. I appreciate everyone's help on the forum.

If it was all in the book, there'd be no need for this forum.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Rochester 2bbl carbs generally have either a pleated paper or a porous bronze filter element located in the inlet of the carb. As was pointed out, disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Then remove the larger fitting and the filter and relief spring can be removed. Make sure you install a new seal on the large nut, make sure it is not cross threaded and make danged sure you don't over tighten it or you can crack the carb housing.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got back from WestMarine. Bought a new carb filter and a new fuel pump filter...

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a pump filter as well and when I removed the bowl from the pump, I see a broken spring (comes with new kit anyway) and a ceramic looking smaller bowl inside. Is this an old style porous filter of some kind? Is this what I should replace or is the filter stuck up inside the pump?

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks - I replaced it with a newer style paper filter. It was VERY almost muddy at the bottom of the bowl, under the old filter. Now I just need some pipe sealant to replace my fittings on my carb

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Now I just need some pipe sealant to replace my fittings on my carb

There is no sealer required. The big fitting that retains the filter uses a seal, replace it. The fuel line is a flare fitting, just don't over tighten it.