lower unit removel

78big10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
getting geady to put water pump in 85 hp 1975 evinrude got the manuel think ive got it figured out supposed do disconect shift rod under lower carb is there a good way to get to it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: lower unit removel

NO. and it's worse getting it back in. a lot of people remove the carbs. don't forget the bolt hidden under the trim fin.

mmclean

Cadet

I am also removing lower unit on 120 johnson (1990) without manual. I have the lower unit unbolted and hanging attached with about 1 inch gap, but something is holding it from dropping. Got any ideas??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Didn't you read the post above? Disconnect the shift shaft -- preferably before you unbolt the lower unit as once that's undone it will likely fall on the floor.

mmclean

Cadet

where would I find the disconnect for the shift shaft?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sorry but I can't resist. Didn't you read the first post? It's under the bottom carburetor.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best to get a original service manual and it will answer 99% of your questions and tell the way it's done.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And in the future, please don't hijack someone elses thread. It confuses those of us who try to help and get's us off track.

78big10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok ive read my manual found the disconect for shift rod removed lower carb can see pin still cant see how pin releases book doesnt show cotter pin cant see one any ideas small pin holding up removel

medic2051

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the ones I have done the "pin" is actually a bolt that unscrews from the lever.

78big10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is deffinatly a pin no way to get to back side no head front side thought there might be a clip no luck

78big10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive got service manual al i can find in it is to remove pin

78big10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anyone interested found the lengage going to this pin seperates allowing ease removal no need to remove carbs or anything chalk this up to a learning exp on to the water pump thanks for the help