Overheating 5.7 mag alpha 1 gen II 97

shamrock220

Cadet
I can not seem to get water to flow through the engine. I have check raw water impeller and it looks good. Boat has through hull exhaust and I can not get water to circulate.
It does go into gear so the shaft is turning and it appear as if the impeller should of been too. boat sat for about a year. Thoughts? Possible Elbows?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Overheating 5.7 mag alpha 1 gen II 97

Pull the Hose that comes from the outdrive, Off at the T-stat Housing,+ See if there's Flow that far,......
With the motor idling, on the Muffs of course..........

If there Is,............ Move on Downstream, till you run out of Water..........

180shabah

Rear Admiral

yes it could be clogged elbows, bad impeller (the blades may have taken a set, so it no longer pumps) or there could be a clog somewhere in the middle.

Sart, by disconnecting the hose from the transom to the power steering cooler, fire it up and see if you have water flow here. This will tell you if the problem is in the engine/exhaust or in the drive.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Guess you beat me to it...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

Pretty Quick on the keyboard, for a 1 fingered Typist.................................:D

shamrock220

Cadet

Thanks all. I did as suggested and it was an impeller. I must say y'all are great but I still don't see how the old one was bad. Again thanks. I think I need to stick to inboards though.