? about title for mercury ?

glockbwb

Cadet
Hi,

I hope this is in the right area I'm new to this forum and new to boats also. I just bought a boat yesterday in Ohio with a 1978 Mercury 402 on it I didn't realize at the time I may need a title for the Mercury. On the internet and according to a couple friends I must have a title. But according to the guy I bought the boat from I don't, he said when he had it inspected by the coast guard or what ever before selling they said they quit making people title the motor a couple years ago. I know I could call around and find out but if it does need one I'm hoping someone might know how I can get it titled.
Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: ? about title for mercury ?

What state are you in?

Fill out the form and say you purchased it in a state that does not title outboards, like here in WI.

But if they run the numbers, and it comes back as stolen from Virginia, your goose is cooked.

glockbwb

Cadet

Thanks,
I'm in Ohio now you have me worried I wanted to put it in the water this weekend. Now if I were to say I bought it in WI and it comes back as being titled in Ohio at some time that may screw me to maybe ? It worries me because I bought it off Ebay and guy supplied wrong serial number on Ebay. I found a place on the block where it says serial number and I think model and it's blank. The number I'm thinking is the serial number is a plate on the mount that holds motor to boat. This sucks it's all new to me should have done my research before I spent my money.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, just say it was bought in Wisconsin, where they don't title motors. For all you know the Ohio title was three owners ago and the motor made its way from Ohio to Wisconsin, (or New York or Pennsylvania, etc.) and back to Ohio again.
- Scott

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

In Texas you have to title them and the Texas Parks & Wildlife is the issuing agency. Have a web site with the forms.

Reason is to get money (for them) and cut down on theft of motors.

Your state may have something similar.

Mark

glockbwb

Cadet

Thanks,
everyone I am thankfull for all your help I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully my but don't end up in jail or something LOL !

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm in Ohio too. Yes, you will need the motor serial and HIN to retitle it. DMV I think engine serials only pertains to inboard engines. I didn't have them and they turned me down. I took a picture of both eng. serials and they accepted that. Outboads also, (just read it).
You'll need your title before you get your boat numbers from Ohio Div. of Watercraft.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I hate to see threads like this. It gives all the states that don't require lisenceing to start. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nova II 260

Sorry, they ALL require (watercraft) licencing.
Some just don't do motors,trailers or....
I am surprised that in CA they do NOT have an oar tax.
icon7.gif

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Nova II 260: In California you can't own anything, just rent it from the state.

ovlo

Cadet

where in ohio are you I live near alum creek and hoover

I would drag your boat down to the park ranger station and talk to them. they have been very helpfull to me when I had some problems with a boat I bought in indana

Nova II 260

Ovlo, I'm Bart Simpsons neighbor :) in Springfield/Enon area.

ratster

Recruit

i recently purchased a boat and motor in ohio and the motor didnt come with a tile .called the local boat registration place and they told me not to woyy about it and 75 % of motors dont have titles and they registered my boat right there.she told me the state wants titles so they canhave their tax money lol