5hp Tohatsu 2-stroke Not Starting

VWpassat99

Recruit
Hey guys, this is a 1996 Tohatsu 2-stroke 5hp, It was running perfectly until 6 months ago when I stored it. Tried to start it this last weekend and no spark. The carburator is sparking clean since I've used the motor once since I last cleaned it and I let it run dry, so it's not a fuel problem. I also put some primer and WD-40 in the carb and nothing. I've triple checked all the electrical connections and are all perfect, new spark plug and everything, so I guess that leaves the small electrical box (which is sealed) and the magneto. I'm guessing it's the magneto since this happened to me last year and I fixed it by cleaning the little magnets and the flywheel and that fixed it, but it's not fixing it this time. Any imput is greatly appreciated, let me know what you guys think! thanks in advance!

VWpassat99

Recruit
Re: 5hp Tohatsu 2-stroke Not Starting

No spark on the plug! what else could it be? how often do these simple magnetos go bad?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Anything in the engine electrical system can cause a loss of spark. You do have the following possible problems:

No lanyard on the kill switch.

Bad wiring

Bad kill switch

Bad CD module

Bad exciter coil

Bad pulser coil

Bad ignition coil

Bad sparkplug

Loose wire

Rusted magnets on flywheel

VWpassat99

Recruit

thanks for all the help! but I've cleaned the rust off the magnets and off the flywheel, checked the kill switch, lanyard, spark plug and all the cables a million times and still nothing...i'll just get someone else to look at it for me and try to see what I'm not seeing...thanks again!