Alpha1 Shift Problem

dbaker54

Recruit
I've got a 1987 Wellcraft, 4 cyl. with an Alpha 1 that doesn't move. The engine runs & shifts but won't go any where. With the boat out of the water & not running I put in forward gear and the prop will lock but when I spin it the opposite direction it spins hard and clicks. The same thing happens in reverse.
What can it be?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha1 Shift Problem

Welcome to iboats........:)
Sounds like a bad lower shift cable.....
What I would do is remove the drive & see if you can get it to fully engage both ways, first turn the prop ccw & the shift shaft cw,then do the opposite....
If it will lock in gear both ways, replace the lower shift cable....
If not there are other internal issues.....;)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

What your describing sounds normal. When in forward the prop should lock if turned CCW and in reverse the prop should lock in the CW rotation. Turning with a click in opposite direction of locking positions is normal. Could be a bad/slipping prop hub or a spun coupler.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

dbaker i see that you are new here and i will let you know those two know just about everything about boats and engines and have helped and saved me lots of money in the past and i would never want to step on their toes! that being said, i had the same problem with my lower shift cable and was able to fix it by readjusting instead of replacement. it took about 7 threadcounts on my adjuster on top of my engine. or maybe hauts right and its just time to replace it!

stronga

Cadet

Mine is doing this as well. The cable is broken where it attaches to the shaft housing. Please let us know what you find out is wrong.