How do Rewire and test whats already there?

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am taking oover the restore of a MFG caprice 17br. The boat sat outside after the floors were redone so now I have to scrape a ton of pine needles and meldew off the the floor and the boat.
The wiring is hanging so I really would like to test whats workinng and go from there so here is my question.
1) There is a cable comming from the outboard with connectors to hook to the battery with this power the light and the panel?
2) Do I need too look for another battery connector for the lights somewhere.

The boat has a pannel with fused switches for different things. lights and other things.

Any help you can offer will be taken..
:D
LOL all the pine needles are gone

Attachments

• switches2.jpg
    switches2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • WIRES 2.jpg
    WIRES 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do Rewire and test whats already there?

the motor should have it's own set of battery connectors, and the accessories theirs. with what i looking at in the pictures. i would trash the whole mess and start over.. it's easier, faster, and you know it's good. that switch/fuse board looks on it's last leg if it works at all. here's good diagram http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=186986

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a complete wiring diagram, but the file is too large for posting on iboats.com. PM me with an e-mail address and I'll attach it to a reply e-mail.

www.cmsquick.com has good info on battery set up, switches, etc. Click on "technical" in the port menu. I can get you to a diagram for larger boats if you need special circuits. It's on the Stingray Boats site but it's mot the easiest to get to.

I second TD's motion of gutting the system and starting anew. You'll be much happier when it's done; and you will know exactly what and where everything is.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

From what I see, you would be well advised to remove everything, including the switch panel and start from scratch. That stuff, including the wiring looks like it's seen better days. Here's a generic wiring diagram that should give you an idea what you are up against.

InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree about to rewire. I just need running lights and bilge pump and tilt and trim so I think it willl be an easy job. I saw a few panles with switches and fuses that will work.
My job today is to trace all the wires and go from there. And order parts.