sealing plywood?

drewpster

Commander
You can see in the picture that there is a bare plywood edge where the deck meets the top of the hull. Originally this area was covered with rubrail. I am replacing the rubrail. Should I do some sealing at this plywood edge before installing the rubrail? Looks like the manufacturer sealed it using resin. However through the years this edge has taken some beating.
I was thinking of using an epoxy filler using silica. Or should a caulk be used to allow movement of the wood?

102_2153.jpg

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: sealing plywood?

When sealing plywood with resin, I like to apply a first coat thined down with MEK for good penitration.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think i would seal the edges an the use a caulk behind the rail, to seal the screw holes. the more water you keep out the better.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the manufacturer sealed it using resin. However through the years this edge has taken some beating.

On my boat the manufacture tried to seal the bottom of the floor by painting on Polyester resin. It didn't hold up over the years.. My study and experience says that Polyester resin HAS to have cloth or mat installed with it. It can NOT be 'painted on' and used alone.

Epoxy on the other hand, can be 'painted' on and function as an effective sealer without needing cloth or mat.

I would go with Tasha's daddy recommendations.. Seal the bare wood with 'poxy and filler as needed. AND use 3M 4200 when you screw on the rub rail..

marineman16

Seaman Apprentice

You could also check out a paint store and look at marine varnishes too. It's what the old sailors that built wooden boats used to coat the whole thing. It should last you quite some time!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I second Thurps recomendation. I do the exact same thing by thinning the epoxy resin with MEK.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Another thought is to use their CPES. It will do the same thing as thinning your epoxy but without loosing any strength or compromise the integrity of the material :http://www.rotdoctor.com/