Broken motor. No Mechanic. Please Help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Broken motor. No Mechanic. Please Help.

Mike, glad to help. keep us posted. Bob

mpriley

Cadet

Well I finally had a chance to get the boat out of the water and look it over these last couple of days. It ran fine for the 1 mile trip to the marina. I installed the new GPS/Sonar and stereo today. Easier then I expected, and I was suprised to see that all of the landmarks for GTMO were allready in the GPS. However, I noticed the sludge coming out of the same hole (see pic in first part of post) and dicided to do an oil change. When I drained the oil from the lower unit of the motor, I got the nasty milky white stuff. I replaced it with fresh oil and called the mechanic. He said I would most likely have to have the lower unit rebuilt. He didn't want to give an estimate over the phone, aside from the $90 an hour he charges. Any one have an idea how much it will cost to rebuild the lower unit? Is this something I can do myself? Thanks again guys. The info so far has been most helpful.

Mike

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

well hopefully you wont be there to much longer! i would just change the l/u oil periodically rather than pay all that money for a rebuild.much cheaper and you still get to fish. thanks for your service bro!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Mike - Before you give your mechanic your wallet - did you replace the o-ings/gaskets with new on the fill/drain plugs? If not d- do it again and retest. Those gaskets are a common failure point.

mpriley

Cadet

No, I sure didn't. After reading a few other forums, i guess your supposed to change them with every oil change. Today was my first time. I'll definatley replace the gaskets but I'll have to order them online. It seems that there must be some kind of seal blown if the same oil is leaking out of that hole in the picture though. But then again, my knowledge of mechanics, especially outboard motors, is sparse at best. Thanks for the tip about the o-rings though. I'm Definately going to replace them.

Mike

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Mike.... The gasket on the drain/fill/oil level screws.... I've yet to replace any of them unless they were obviously faulty (leaking) but it's a good idea to look closely at them. Keep in mind that if water can get in, oil will leak out, and it will usually be obvious.

To check for leaks, and it appears that you have one, do this.

Drain the unit completely. If the oil is recent and still good, save it if you care to. After draining, insert and tighten one screw, it doesn't matter which. Now apply 7 to 12 pounds of air pressure to the remaining open screw hole. Use a piece of rubber fuel line or whatever to obtain a seal between the unit and the air nozzle if you don't have a proper fitting.

With that pressure trapped within the empty unit, you should be able to find the area of leakage either by sight or sound or both. Let us know what you find.

The two most common areas of leakage is the propshaft's carrier large O Ring and the seals under the water pump plate.

tashasdaddy

sent you a PM, send me your address, i've got drain seals on my desk,.

mpriley

Cadet

Success!!!!

After following all of the advice that you all have so generously offered, the motor appears to be in good working order. I must admit I am truly amazed at all of the help and generosity you all have shown me throughout this post. Not only did you offer expert advice, but a fellow corpsman actually went out of his way to mail me some gaskets for the drain/fill plugs. I am most gratefull for all of your help. Special Thanks to Tashasdaddy for sending those gaskets. We actually brought you up in quarters Monday. It's great to hear from a fellow corspman and I am most gratefull.

After checking for leaks and installing those gaskets I had a trouble free test drive on the water today.

Tommorow . . . .back to hunting tarpon.

Many Thanks,
Mike

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

at least someone has good luck!you deserve it though.now go slay some cuban women.

tashasdaddy

good to here, and glad to help.