Polyethylene or Aluminum ?????

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice
Diamond Dave
Cadet

Polyethylene or Aluminum ?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to replace the fuel tank in my Mako 171. Is there anyone out there that has replaced there aluminum tank with a polyethylene tank???? I know there much lighter, last forever and cost less than stainless or aluminum. Any reason not to replace it with a poly tank?????

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Polyethylene or Aluminum ?????

got to regular size type, cadet. and please don't double post.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Daddy said.

erikgreen

Captain

I'm replacing a steel tank with a poly tank. The only thing to watch for is that poly tanks expand 2-3 percent with fuel and temperature, so you have to account for that when you install it. You don't glass it down or rivet it, you need to use the strap and mounting kit the manufacturer supplies.

No reason not to go to poly that I know of, unless you can't get the size or shape you need.

What's wrong with your aluminum tank?

Erik

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Erik, I do appreciate your input. My 30ft Wellcraft has three stainless steel tanks in it and I?ve never had a problem. The problem with my Mako is the aluminum tank is almost 30 years old and its seeping fuel in the bilge. I have received some good feed back and it looks like I?m going to go with a new aluminum or stainless steel tank do to the fact that the poly tanks expand. Thanks again for your interest and your help. Tashadday I?m a bit confused, I never new font could be obnoxious, I?m in my forties, I?m a business owner and a family man. I pride myself on being courteous and respectful and I expect the same from others. If you took the time to read any of my post you would see that. If you don?t want anyone to use font, color or any other options when they post then, why are they there????? Dear Mr. J.B. (What Daddy said) Are you kidding me! That sounds like something a 5th grader would say on the play ground. A very wise man once said treat others as you would be treated. I feel I have been treated unfairly.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yes a poly tank will expand 2-3%.
If not properly vented.
Unless you talking about expansion of the unsupported sides because of the fuel weight, what other cause is there to expand other than excess tank pressure?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

In the world of online forums it is proper forum ediquette to post as if your writing a letter to your Momma.

Not as if your yelling (big fonts and or capitol letters) your message across the street to your neighbors.

Save the capitols, large font, bold, italics and underlining to make your point or enhance where needed.

Also in the online forum world it is not wise to be too thin skinned.

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jeeperman, your insight was helpful. :) I understand the concept of it’s not always what you say, but how you say it. I agree in part with that and that’s why I feel like they where picking the fly- you know what out of the pepper. :mad: I’ve seen some people paint the name of there boat so big it goes from bow to stern. Personally I like it something a little bit more understated. I think it looks a little bit tacky when someone buts lettering or a huge decal on there boat. However it’s there boat and if that’s the way they like it, I’m ok with that. I would never say hey, why are you yelling at me. LOL :eek: I'm not offended and I dont think it obnoxious. By the way Mom doesn’t mind large font she is just happy I take the time to e-mail her. LOL

erikgreen

Captain

Yes a poly tank will expand 2-3%.
If not properly vented.
Unless you talking about expansion of the unsupported sides because of the fuel weight, what other cause is there to expand other than excess tank pressure?

Whether it's vented or not is my understanding. It's not just bowing of the sides, but the material itself shrinks and expands with temperature changes and fuel fills. It's a very different material than the metal tanks, but it has fewer problems with alcohol in fuels and is cheaper than aluminum tanks.

Erik

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Erik,

I’m not so much concerned about the cost as much as I am about longevity. I like the idea of having less weight and a fuel tank that will, for the most part last forever. I’m still undecided. Just don’t want to pull the tank again

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Longevity will only depend on how your tank is maintained. A poorly maintained tank will never last (regardless of material).

I think it almost a coin toss and I doubt there is that much of a weight savings between the two. I do know that aluminum is easier to repair. If it is a larger tank I would go with aluminum that has baffles.

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bob,

Good call, I never even considered the fact that poly tanks don?t have baffles. I?m going to have a tank made from aluminum. This is a project boat and I really only want to do things one time. LOL :D I?m going to measure the coffin and see if I can squeeze a few more gallons into a new tank.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Diamond Dave

Seaman Apprentice

[http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/articledetail.html?lid=1189"]http://http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/articledetail.html?lid=1189[/URL]I guess there are some advantages to poly tanks. Check out this link.

Tanks:D for everyone’s input.