Quick question about SX TRIM TABS ??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
I have a STINGRAY HYDROFOIL currently installed on a alpha drive,after reading all the posts about the damage it can do and after every one swearing to installing SX SMART TABS, I have been looking into them, I found them here on IBOATS, SX9510-80 is what I would need,I even down loaded the installation instructions BUT it doesn't[give the height , from the bottom of my transom to the bottom of the hull is only (7") WILL THIS BE ENOUGH ROOM from the plate at the bottom to the top of the transom bracket?? The instructions don't specify the height, does any one have the SX trim tabs installed and know the height needed for installation?? I would hate to order them just to find out I don't have enough room to properly install them.........THANKS AGAIN>>>PAT/I]

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quick question about SX TRIM TABS ??

from the bottom of my transom to the bottom of the hull is only (7")
Hey Pat,

I am not sure I understand the dimension clearly. Can you post a picture? Either way, you should re-post this in Boat (non-engine) below . . . vvvvvvvv The CEO of Smart Tabs frequents that section and will be very helpful . . . ;)

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

They are also on special offer through iboats at $119 for the minute.. Just ordered mine.

Gary

gkosel

Seaman

I asked the same question to John from Nauticus as I was worried about the placement around a swim ladder on the back of my boat. John responded with the following:​

The tabs are 9.5? wide and 10? deep. So you need 9.5? across the bottom of the boat, and from the hinge you will need about 10.5? up to mount the transom bracket.

I think the SX tabs are all the same size, but are mainly differentiated by the actuator. According to the Nauticus charts, my boat technically suggested that I should get the 80s too, but after emailing with John, he suggested that I get the 60's for my boat (17.5FT Fiberglass with a 4.3L 175HP engine).​

I just ordered a set on Sunday from eBuyersworld. They appear to be a distributer of the tabs and had a listing on ebay. There was a $10 off code that you could use to get the price down to 109.99. I am hoping that they make it by this weekend so I can put them on and try them out.​

If you have any questions at all about getting the right tabs or tab placement, I would consult with Nauticus. The contact info is listed below:​

Toll Free: 800-233-0194
info@NauticusInc.com

Their Customer Service has been raved about on these boards and I have been pleased with the limited set of questions that I have posed so far.​

Good luck with your tabs. I pulled my hydrafoil too. It provided a couple of pretty scary moments on a couple of tight turns that sent me back to the docks with white knuckles.​

QC

Supreme Mariner

I pulled my hydrafoil too. It provided a couple of pretty scary moments on a couple of tight turns that sent me back to the docks with white knuckles.
Friends don't let friends use Hydrofoils . . .

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry about posting thread here on this forum about the trim tabs (Really I'm not ;)) But I value and trust everyones opinion In this forum and not only that there is a difference between 27 people viewing on this forum and maybe only two viewing on the others. Thanks for the response, Yes it was exactly what I needed to know,I only have (7") to use on the installation, the transom is about 1 1/2ft. in further than my hull is,or shall I say my hull extends out 1 1/2ft further than the transom , Thanks the information was exactly what I was afraid of before I purchased the SX trim tabs,It won't work, THANKS>>>PAT

gkosel

Seaman

Don't give up too quick. I would check with John at Nauticus before you give up. They have found a way to mount the tabs on almost every configuration.

I have seen installs where they are actually not mounted directly to the transom, but up on the molded swim platform piece.

My guess is that if you send him a picture of your transom, he will have a suggestion on how you get get them on.

FYI, you may want to post a picture of your transom here too. Maybe someone else on the board has a similar boat that they could show you how they mounted theirs.:)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks GKOSEL , No I won't give up, You have gone through a lot of trouble to help me out with this, I was already planning on calling him tomorrow with all the helpful information you gave me, the only pic. I have is the one showing the stern in the water and the other one (port) on trailer. Thanks for all your help, I plan on using it to it's fullest.

Attachments

• BOAT02.jpg
    BOAT02.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

I think you might have misunderstood where the tabs should go. The picture of your boart in the water looks like you have plenty of room to mount each tab on the rear surface of each hull.. The tabs do not get mounted close to the propellor, but as far apart as possible to give stability.. Check with Nauticus, but your boat looks just fine for the tabs.

Gary

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

THE HULL EXTENDS OUT 1 1/2FT. FURTHER THAN THE TRANSOM, THE STERN DRIVE IS FLUSH WITH THE TRANSOM, THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CALL FOR THEM TO BE INSTALLED ON THE TRANSOM, IT'S WIDE ENOUGH JUST NOT HIGH ENOUGH

gkosel

Seaman

My guess is that you may have to connect the transom plate (top plate) to the bottom of the hull that overhangs the transom I have seen this done before. I did a quick search through the forum and couldn't find the picture that I was thinking of, but I am pretty sure that you will be able to mount the base of the tabs where they are optimal and then mount the transom plate to the underside of the hull.

The final and best answer still is going to come from Nauticus. They will know your style of boat and exactly how to do it.​

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Called Earlier ,waiting For Them To Call Back(answering Machine)

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

This is similar to my installation...similar to yours?

install_pic15.jpg

install_pic16.jpg

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

SEE ON YOUR STARB. SIDE WHERE YOUR HULL EXTENDS OUT A LITTLE , MINE IS KIND OF SIMILAR BUT ALL THE WAY IN TO THE STERN DRIVE, WERE YOU MOUNTED YOU TRANSOM BRACKET , I ONLY HAVE (7") TO PLAY WITH, BECAUSE MY HULL EXTENDS OUT 1 1/2FT.

Ranger2050

Cadet

You have the same Capri 2050 style that I do. Tonight I will be installing Smart Tabs on mine. This will be the 3rd Capri of this style I have put them on. They will fit. The actuator bracket will mount to the swim platform. You can move the plate bracket one hole and reduce the distance from 10.5 to 7.5.

Phil

P.S. CAPITAL LETTERS is yelling.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

OK Thanks,so they can be mounted ,Thats good news, wasn't sure if I could mount them to the bottom swim platform or not, GKOSEL also said they would be able to too . Thank You every one for all your help, I will be taking pics.also that way I may be able to help some one else later on down the line. Thanks again>>>Pat
I wasn't yelling, just talking out loud :D

Ranger2050

Cadet

WAVENBYE2 - Before I stick my foot in my mouth (as I do quite often), I went out to mount the Smart Tabs last night and had a bit of a problem. Here is a copy of the email I just sent to Nauticus explaining it. I thought you would be interested. Just kidding about the yelling.

Hello,

I just bought a set of ST1290-80.

I have a slight issue. I thought I had measured and researched enough that I wouldn't have a problem, but that is not the case. I am sending a picture of the transom of my boat.

On the starboard side where the ladder is where I thought the problem would be, but actually the tab will mount there perfectly.

The problem is the port side. The only way to mount it without moving it
inboard does not give me enough room for the actuator to mount properly.

1. It seems the acutator ends are larger that the ones I mounted before, so
even if I mount the transom bracket horizontal under the overhang the head of the acutator will not let the bracket mount flat and I would not be able to
duplicate that on the starboard side because of the cutout for the swim ladder. I would also not have any angle adjustment with the bracket mounted that way.

2. If I slide the tabs inboard toward the stern drive to where they could be
mounted properly and equal, I would give up some side to side stability, would have to move tie downs and speedometer pickup and transducer. The outdrive would also hit the tabs. I taped them up there and checked.

3. I mounted this tabs on 3 other Capris, but this one seems to be slightly
different in the shape of the rear.

I am looking for any help you can give beacuse I do want these on there.

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 1990 Capri 2050.JPG
    1990 Capri 2050.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Yes RANGER2050'S stern is identical to mine, so now we have a Pic. to use as refrence. Thanks Ranger

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you just call the manufacturer with your questions? I am sure they will be glad to help you.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I do all I keep getting is there answering machine I leave # & message for them to call back,nothing. I took the boat out today,1st time this season, I might not have had signal