97 force 120 trouble starting but not all the time

floydp680

Cadet
here is what happens lately. for awhile there has been a small hiccup if you will with the starter but the motor always started just fine like that. i have recently had trouble starting this motor at all and it seemed to just be an old battery that didn't have the voltage to crank the motor over. i now have brand new batteries and they are always charged when i leave for the lake. heres what it does now. it cranks no matter what you do and doesn't start. then it goes to a slow crank like the battery is dead and then won't crank at all. then 5 minutes later it is fine and starts great. so we go fishing for a little bit, then try to start the motor to go to a different spot and it wont crank at all. then a little while later it's as if there is nothing wrong and it starts just fine. any input would be greatly appreciated, my fishing trips have not been too fun lately.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 97 force 120 trouble starting but not all the time

There are probably two pairs of brushes on the starter. The positive post that the cable attaches to feeds the two positive brushes. The two negative brushes are screwed to the end cap. The connections corrode and the screws loosen up. They need cleaning and tightening. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, anyplace that does automotive starter rebuilding can handle it. Getting it all back together can be a bit daunting.

floydp680

Cadet

would it be easier and cheaper to just replace the starter, its about $150 if installing it myself is something i can do?

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get a starter on line for less that 100.00 plus shipping.
Do a search for boat starters or force starters.
Can't give web sites here.
Starter replace is very easy.

Good luck,

Mike