Contact Cement?

Hey guys Im putting a new carpet down on a 18' Sea Ray. I have heard of people using contact cement (the stuff you use for countertops and so forth) for adhering the carpet. IT says is very water resistant. Would this contact cement be stronger and more durable then a regular outdoor carpet adhesive? Would it keep up with the tough conditions of salt water? I also heard and it says right on the can that contact cement unlike regular adhesions gets stronger the longer the age. Another plus is the total cure time is 72 hours unlike many adhesives which are 4-6 days. Any idea of the best adhesions to put the carpet down that would be durable

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Contact Cement?

don't use it. 1st you have to coat both the boat and carpet, once touching together there is no moving it. get a wrinkle, you've got a wrinkle for life. when it comes time to replace you will have to get a grinder and grind the carpet out. use marine carpet glue. if work with contact cement building countertops, etc for 45 years.

Thanks for the advice. I heard that you dont have to do both sides because its clothe.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not true. and it is permanent, the fiberglass will come up with it.

mckevin

Cadet

Actually being "cloth" means that you will likely need to apply two coats of adhesive (if contact cement) to that side in order to achieve an adequate hold.

Use a GOOD multipurpose adhesive on the flats and contact for any contours where you need a strong initial grab.

Thanks for the advice. I heard that you dont have to do both sides because its clothe.

BillP

Captain

If it helps...There are two basic types of contact glue...flammable and non flammable. Flammable is the one for exteriors and/or high strengh. Non flammable is for interiors and/or less strenth.

Even marine grade carpet rots from UV. When it gets that way it can be peeled or ripped off by hand. Then it leaves a patchy surface that has to be scraped and grinded off. Fiberglass paint removers will also take the glue off without damage but they cost big $$$.

Exterior carpeting on boats is a pain. It holds crud, doesn't sweep it off well and stays wet a long time.

bp