Need people's advice on an 78 OMC Stringer

jontoronto27

Seaman
Re: Need people's advice on an 78 OMC Stringer

Yeah, must be just 800's- don't worry about it. I'm not really sure.

If I can do it, I think I will anways, if it helps shift it and puts less strain on the cable and the gears then why not. I'm trying to find the switch itself, I'm assuming it ties into the ignition?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I was having trouble weeding thru all the above. Suffice it to say that '82 and later full mechanical lower units are full mechanical shift, not hydro-mechanical shifters, have a different shift cable, a different shift converter box and require a shift interupt switch. No shortcuts.

jontoronto27

Seaman

I was having trouble weeding thru all the above. Suffice it to say that '82 and later full mechanical lower units are full mechanical shift, not hydro-mechanical shifters, have a different shift cable, a different shift converter box and require a shift interupt switch. No shortcuts.

Oh great, 2 more hours of googling. lol

whywhyzed

Banned

ebay item 130122173797
Complete kit with everything you need.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

ebay item 130122173797
Complete kit with everything you need.

Caution: I think this 'kit' is overpriced for what you are getting. Don't even know if the ESA module will work with you throttle/shift unit and he does not say you get the whole thing. Also not included is the outdrive shift cable itself. If you did not get this with the lower you bought, this 'kit' will do you no good.

whywhyzed

Banned

no, that kit is the right thing. He already has the mechanical lower Boomy, therefore he has the cable. The cable is part of the lower unit.
The price is awesome.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

no, that kit is the right thing. He already has the mechanical lower Boomy, therefore he has the cable. The cable is part of the lower unit.
The price is awesome.

Oh, OK, then maybe it's just what he needs.

jontoronto27

Seaman

Caution: I think this 'kit' is overpriced for what you are getting. Don't even know if the ESA module will work with you throttle/shift unit and he does not say you get the whole thing. Also not included is the outdrive shift cable itself. If you did not get this with the lower you bought, this 'kit' will do you no good.

Yeah I'm in no rush to pay 300 bucks for a conversion kit that's ridiculous. I'm going to just hold off and wait and see what I can get in July. My new outdrive came with the shift cable and it's in excellent condition, I use the boat about 10 times a year, And can't justify paying that kinda money. Oh well.

whywhyzed

Banned

Especially when there's a place in the Muskokas on lake of Bays that rents a bowrider for $175 a day....with tube and skis etc....when done ya just drop it off and go home....hardly worth it for 10 outings... I see so many boats around my place that never move....guy 4 doors down from me has a beautiful Pachanga... Boat has moved once in 9 years I've lived there... and that was for about 1 hour

jontoronto27

Seaman

Especially when there's a place in the Muskokas on lake of Bays that rents a bowrider for $175 a day....with tube and skis etc....when done ya just drop it off and go home....hardly worth it for 10 outings... I see so many boats around my place that never move....guy 4 doors down from me has a beautiful Pachanga... Boat has moved once in 9 years I've lived there... and that was for about 1 hour

You're not talking about Haystack bay marine are you? I rented that yellow one for a week a couple years ago, 75HP Yamaha if I'm not mistaken. LOL Yeah I've already found another one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-...005QQitemZ150127731222QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and even that one is more then i'm willing to spend. I'll just wait until something else comes along or I'll buy a piece of junk somewhere and part it out for the controls.

whywhyzed

Banned

I forget the name of the place....Lumina maybe?
90HP it said IIRC

And that's about 1/2 of the parts you'll need -that's only the converter box and switches... and the one plastic cam is broken off, and the one switch mount is all bent.....best way is definitely to buy a parts boat that way you know you'll have everything.....

jontoronto27

Seaman

I forget the name of the place....Lumina maybe?
90HP it said IIRC
And that's about 1/2 of the parts you'll need -that's only the converter box and switches... and the one plastic cam is broken off, and the one switch mount is all bent.....best way is definitely to buy a parts boat that way you know you'll have everything.....

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I've found a couple in Ontario for under 500 bucks for the whole boat, I think I'll just do that (sell the rest, pay the dump to take the hull) sell the trailer.

Thanks!