Sprint Bass Boat

bduke

Recruit
Hello All,

I was recently given a 1989 18' Sprint 276, with trailer and a 150 Merc. Black Max. Can somebody tell me anything about this boat? I know Sprint was manufactured in Amory, Mississippi (I'm in Mississippi) but I cannot find any information whatsoever as to wiring diagrams or owners manuals.

The boat has been sitting unprotected in a tick infested pasture for 13 years. I have no illusions. The boat's still in the pasture. I have to buy tires and a tongue jack just to be able to pull the boat out. The skeg was buried 8 inches in the dirt. Surprisingly, except for the tires, winch strap, and jack, the trailer looks almost new. My brother and I have jacked it up and put the trailer on blocks. The seats are all ruined--actually completely disintergrated. The owner let his grandchildren use it as playground equipment. The rest of the interior looks surprisingly good. Sprint used some excellent brand of outdoor carpet. I hope the rest is as good quality. We attached jumper cables to the battery that powers the lift, and low and behold, the thing powered up and raised the motor. Some other pump also came on but I don't yet know what it was. Obviously the kids have thrown some switches somewhere.

So, foolishly emboldened, I'm going to take a shot at it as a project.

I estimate it'll cost me about $150 to get it somewhere I can work on it. The motor's a different story. So wish me luck, and I'd certainly appreciate any information you can give about this boat.

Thanks,

bduke

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Sprint Bass Boat

Well, you'll probably be in for a bunch of work. Did you ask why the boat got parked there? Often it's a matter of an outboard that's toast and not enough money to get a new one.

The other pump you heard was probably a bilge pump, and that's where your problems may begin. Sitting in that field, it has been rained on, at the very least.

Once you get the boat out of there, clean it up as best you can, then start checking for soft spots in the deck. If they're there, you probably have a boat full of waterlogged foam under the deck and rotten stringers, if they are wooden.

The transom will be suspect, too, after all that time, and its wood may be rotten as well. Big job.

As for the engine, there's no telling.

It's a project, all right...a big one, I'm betting.

bduke

Recruit

CATransplant,

I know it. I'm a starry-eyed sucker. However, the owner's wife works for me, and I think he's been truthful. He hasn't got anything to gain, and I'd have helped him haul it off if that's what he wanted, any way. I'd have had to look a gift horse in the mouth, and that might have been offensive.

The water pump went out on the Merc. He says they came in on the trolling motor and did not completely burn the thing up. He parked it in his shed/shop for a while, but then got a new toy (an old truck to work on) and just lost interest. Based on some things that were said, I think it was too much boat. I also think based on the old three-wheelers and stuff on the place he's the kind that gets all interested in something, but soon moves on to something else.

I put a 1979 aluminum Fisher Marine with a 1979 30hp Yamaha back on the water about three years ago. That doesn't compare to this, but I've got an idea what awaits me. I'm hoping that there was enough rearward slope on the boat that water didn't stand in the bilge--the plug's missing. I tapped around the transom with a pocket knife handle and it sounded solid. I haven't checked the floor, but I'm ok if I have to rip it out.

rustycolbert

Recruit

I have a sprint 215 fundeck, it's a 1998. I would like to find more details about the wiring of it. (does not show ign. switch), however, I do have the manuals for it. The wiring schematic in my manual actual says it is for a 276 Pro. I am hoping that it is just the same wiring for both boats. If you need a copy, I can get my wife to scan it and email it. As far as rot, if the skeg was buried, it can be assumed that the back of the boat was lower than the front. So as long as the plug was out, there should be no rot.

My current delima is that I put in a new stereo, and must have screwed something up in the process. Now, the lights, horn, and stereo all work. However the ignition no long beeps when you turn it to run. The guages do not "come to life" when it is on. The power trim does not work, and of course continuring to turn the ignition key to start does nothing as well. I think I may have blown an inline fuse or threw a breaker. I can find the fuse box, but they are all good.

DrFish

Recruit

i have a 1999 SPRINT 221DC Great boat fast as WOW unlimited HP im having trouble finding anything out about this boat like where do i buy decals for it the 221DC logo on gunwals is gone driving myself insane trying to find a set along with the raised SPRINT logo on the rear sides of the boat please help

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum DrFish. Your best bet is to start a new thread with your problem seeing how this one is 4 years old. That being said, it is doubtful you'll be able to find your decals. Boats are too limited in production and varied between model years for there to be much of a parts inventory beyond a couple years. A local sign shop should be able to recreate your decals with no problem.