Hello, have questions about "Electric Boating"

Curious1

Cadet

Curious1

Cadet
Re: Hello, have questions about "Electric Boating"

can you find a picture of something similar on line and post a link. if we have a real idea of the boat you want, you will get the best advice. there is a brand called it thing electra craft boat.

here's a list of manufacturer of electric boats. and there links.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimkerr1/sebebman.htm

Possibly something this size: http://www.cobaltmarine.com/13'ElectricBoat.htm

It seems to hold 3 people well enough. Would of liked something like this but with three of those swivel chairs.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You mention "decent speed" a couple of times. Any boat designed for planing with an outboard motor will have limited speed. The electric trolling motor in this case will not have enough power to get the boat up out of the water and on plane. As a result, you speed is limited to hull speed. Given the transom of most of these boats is designed for planing, you will be limited to a max of about 5 knots.

If you really want the best tranquil performance you should look for a boat designed to operate at displacement speeds. You'll get a little more speed if desired (not much), but more importantly, it will operate more efficiently extended your battery life. To understand the difference, picture the back of a sailboat or a canoe compared to a power boat.

Curious1

Cadet

Well the guy I saw only had the one stern mounted electric motor and he was making good speed (By my definition). But other than the one stern mounted electric outboard motor I didn't know his setup (Voltage, batteries, etc).

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Minn Kota sells an "E-Drive" but is is pretty spendy. I think it has about 120 ponds thrust. They used to sell "Neptunes" that were two 65 pound, 24V troll motors mounted on a rack with a tilt funtion. They needed 4, 12V batts, but were very easy to operate and ran pretty good if you didn't run WOT all the time. I just bought a 20' pontoon boat that had the Neptunes on it and the PO said it ran fairly well. I'm pulling the Neptunes off and hanging a 50hp 'rude on her. I did charge the batts and the TMs still work fine. I think I'm gonna e-bay them.
Ray Electric also sells an electric outboard but it is VERY expensive and uses 8, 6V batts. Not really suited to your needs. But I do see lots of small pontoon boats with electric motor and the owners are very pleased.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what about a 14 foot aluminum, 24 volt transom mount trolling motor, and put a bimini top on it. think it would give you what you want for a lot less money.

MVC-905S-1.jpg

MVC-741S.jpg

962e81eb.jpg

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tashasdaddy- Very nice little boat! Looks great!

tashasdaddy

it's a 1960's Lonestar, w/ 1955 15 hp evinrude. was my 1st restore. wish i still had it. sold it to buy more boats.

Curious1

Cadet

what about a 14 foot aluminum, 24 volt transom mount trolling motor, and put a bimini top on it. think it would give you what you want for a lot less money.

MVC-905S-1.jpg

MVC-741S.jpg

962e81eb.jpg

Thats exactly what I am looking for, something like that with an electric motor. Where can I buy that and what is the cost?

Curious1

Cadet

Minn Kota sells an "E-Drive" but is is pretty spendy. I think it has about 120 ponds thrust. They used to sell "Neptunes" that were two 65 pound, 24V troll motors mounted on a rack with a tilt funtion. They needed 4, 12V batts, but were very easy to operate and ran pretty good if you didn't run WOT all the time. I just bought a 20' pontoon boat that had the Neptunes on it and the PO said it ran fairly well. I'm pulling the Neptunes off and hanging a 50hp 'rude on her. I did charge the batts and the TMs still work fine. I think I'm gonna e-bay them.
Ray Electric also sells an electric outboard but it is VERY expensive and uses 8, 6V batts. Not really suited to your needs. But I do see lots of small pontoon boats with electric motor and the owners are very pleased.

That sounds good, how much with batteries?

tashasdaddy

i sold that boat, this winter for $1100. as it sits in the picture. it was and old ugly aluminim boat, with weeds growing on it. cleaned it up, $20.00 worth of home depot spray paint. i think the seats were $40 each. plus the trailer, and motor. i had about $550 in it. it would be an easy fun little project, and install a bimini. and a good trolling motor. these little boats are always on ebay.

Curious1

Cadet

i sold that boat, this winter for $1100. as it sits in the picture. it was and old ugly aluminim boat, with weeds growing on it. cleaned it up, $20.00 worth of home depot spray paint. i think the seats were $40 each. plus the trailer, and motor. i had about $550 in it. it would be an easy fun little project, and install a bimini. and a good trolling motor. these little boats are always on ebay.

I meant new. Where can I buy one new and how much it would cost?

tashasdaddy

there are many good boats built very similar, many brands. check the local dealers, and the will rig it just as you want. sent you a PM, with a link to a nice little boat. take them a picture of what you want.

Curious1

Cadet

there are many good boats built very similar, many brands. check the local dealers, and the will rig it just as you want. sent you a PM, with a link to a nice little boat. take them a picture of what you want.

Thanks, I didn't know I could customized the boat like that.