Update of the rotted transom!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
From my other thread:
I got the cap off and what a mess! The starboard side is hollow as far as i can stick a steal rod down in it.There is only about a half inch thickness left of the original wood.The port side still has some rotted wet wood,not that it matters now..:mad:.
So to avoid removing the whole top of the boat i guess the chainsaw and Seacast may be my only option.
I wish this was engine work...that i can do.
This really sucks....:(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Update of the rotted transom!

well atleast 1/2 the transom is out.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The glass is half full....;)

I think i may call on my neighbor and buy the beer:D

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come now, where's the challenge? Pop the deck off, ripe out that transom, the floor while you're at it.. and the stringers too.

Yeh, why not use your boat as a mold and build up a whole new boat while you're at it.

It some much fun to back seat drive.

Good luck on the seacast.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Took the chainsaw to it! the transom is 2/3 removed. The very bottom where the chainsaw can't reach is going to be fun.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rent a chain saw with a longer blade

rost495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I grabbed a saw with a 30 inch blade and finished the bottom of mine off last year. Worked fine. Wore me out. Seacast poured in just fine.

BTW I did make a long angled bit chisel from 1/2 inch round bar, it worked really good in the tight corners, powered by a 2 pound sledge...

Jeff

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recall someone using a long drill bit, but how you don't puncture the hull? I could see using a speedbore - spade type bit with an extention. Perhaps grinding off the center point?

Of course a chainsaw with a longer bar on it would reach. Justify a new tool to the MRS's? or rent / borrow one for a day?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

How clean does it have to be for the Seacast? If there is any wood left sticking to the fiberglass what do you do?
Almost considered doing the Dr rot stuff to the wood thats left then adding new wood with the resin filler...:confused: