vintage mercury restore

basshole

Seaman Apprentice
Re: vintage mercury restore

Hoping to maybe find the coupler between the lower unit and the rest of the shift linkage. I'm trying to find a machine shop where I live to make one but no luck yet. If anybody has one laying around I would jump for joy and pay top dollar. Thanks Chad.

basshole

Seaman Apprentice

Hi. I'm cleaning up all of my parts and they look great as raw aluminum. I'm temped to keep them this way and polish them. Your opinion on that would be great but my question is about removing scratches from the tank ring. Should I try to remove them or just polish it up. Some of them are deep and I don't think I should be removing any material too keep it original. I'm curious how any of these actions would effect the value or the originality of the motor. Should I just paint it stock colors? Thanks Chad

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well the stock colors are a big part of what makes an Old Merc an Old Merc. Very good color combination.

basshole

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to keep it green and polish the gray parts which isn't much different. But I suppose your right and I should just paint it. Thanks Chad

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I would polish the tank ring and leave it with the worst of the gouges intact. The smaller ones you might be able to sand out. Also, those castings were never perfect from day one, so some imperfections are normal. A few more won't detract from the overall beauty of the motor - think of them as battle wounds...
- Scott

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1969 merc 100 thunderbolt 1000. It stll runs. replacing the internal wire harness abd fuel line. Had the impeller changed. Hope that is it. Do these run good. I have only tried it one time and it was 3 years ago.

basshole

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1969 merc 100 thunderbolt 1000. It stll runs. replacing the internal wire harness abd fuel line. Had the impeller changed. Hope that is it. Do these run good. I have only tried it one time and it was 3 years ago.

I know nothing about these motors or a ton about outboards in general but I'm sure it will will be a great running motor. It is a Mercury!

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

It is a Merc 100hp 1969. Friend tried cranking it and the negative post melted. They said it would not stop turning over even with key out.

I started looking at it and found a bunch of bare wires on the internal harness, I am going to replace that and the fuel line was rotten, too. I guess I will try again. Bought new baterry and new cable wires. Should I run the thing rich first time? Also, should I spray the spark plug holes or carb? Ideas? Has only run 3 times in the four years I have had it. No telling before then.

basshole

Seaman Apprentice

What plugs am I suppose to use in my kh-7? It came with j7j's in it but I think old mercs says j6c. Thanks for any help. Chad

basshole

Seaman Apprentice

What is the difference between, if any a Q and a H lower unit?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Functionally, the only difference is the length of the driveshaft. Mechanically, there are a few minor differences in bearing arrangement, etc. An H Quicksilver lower unit requires an H tower housing (one AV plate). A Q Quicksilver lower unit requires a Q tower housing (two AV plates). It is possible to functionally convert one to the other by swapping out driveshafts.

This is assuming that you are comparing units for the same application. A Mark 40H or Mark 55H lower unit won't fit a Mark 20H or KG7H. A Mark 30H lower unit won't fit anything but a Mark 30H. There are several variations within each "family" of units. Long skegs, short skegs. Single water pickup, multiple water pickups. Bronze babbit or needle cone bearings.

Hope that helps.

- Scott

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of good info posted...Enjoyed reading it and learning a few things. I am currently working on a 1955 Mark 25. Hopefully come spring she's back on the water...

pocoloco153

Recruit
Who can restore a KG7 Merc ?

Who can restore a KG7 Merc ?

I know this is a very old thread but I need a little help .
Im an old boat racer , Mostly Tunnel boats thru the 70s . A wild fire burned my shop. I have a couple merc Super 10 Hurricans with quickie lower units . One stock , one an alky mod with remobvable head, both are damaged , mostly smoke damage .
Anyone know where I can get them restored ? the stock one is going on an old Swift Hydro my grandson is restoring .
Thanks , **** Roberts

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Who can restore a KG7 Merc ?

Re: Who can restore a KG7 Merc ?

Might have a better shot at finding someone either at the AOMCI.org site or at ScreamandFly.com on their Outboard History forum.