Another costly boating accident.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another costly boating accident.

Hydraulics at dams are drowning machines. We have one on the Potomac River that is deceptively peaceful looking--like you could take your canoe right over it.

People never come out of it.

Jinx

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's two of them between Williamsport and Hancock - Dams 4 and 5. Tailwaters deserve a lot of respect.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1. start engine before pulling anchor
2. attach tow lines to bow, not stern

jinx

The one I was refering to is a low head dam just above Chain Bridge. Its official name is the Brookmont dam.

I remember about fifteen years ago a bunch of Marines went over it, and not one survived.

There were plans to put rubble over it to make it look more fearsome. I do not know if it was ever carried out.

I'll see if there is anything more on it.

Jinx

jinx

Here is the accident report from the Brookmont Dam. As you can see my memory was a bit faulty. It looks like they did complete the appearance project:

Detailed Description: On May 5th, 1984 six members of the Third Infantry Regimnent stationed in Fort Meyers, VA attempted to run Brookmont Dam on the Lower Potomac. This dam is a wide, 4' high river wide drop that creates a deadly hydraulic and the drop is routinely portaged by local paddlers. The high water level of 6.5' at Lettle Falls only made the reversal bigger. The soldiers were all in great shape but lacked any kind of whitewater training. They rented a raft. paddles, life vests, and other gear from the base recreation department. The vests were of the "horse collar" variety and came off during th events which followed.

The group entered the river at Old Angler's Inn, 8 miles upstream, and floatedc the Class II rapids to the dam without incident. They did not notice the warning signs or heed the cries of fishermen; the warning buoys had been carried away by the high water. They went over the drop and became stuck in the hydraulic at the base of the dam.

A local resident saw what was happening and called 911. The Park Service helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger, reached the dam 5 minutes later. The pilot saw the raft, still upright, bouncing violently and taking on water. Suddenly it flipped, but some of the rafters could still hold on. The helicopter lowered a Billy Pugh Net to the group. One person got in; another grabbed hold of the outside. As the helicopter ferried the two towards shore, the second person lost his grip and fell off. The helicopter left the other person on a nearby island and returned to pickup the second person. After bringing him to safety the pilot headed back to the dam. He spotted three people in the river and chased them and lowered the net, but they lacked the strength to grab hold. One body was recovered bt fishermen at the base of Little Falls; the others were recovered during the next few weeks. The raft stayed in the hydraulic for over a week before paddlers used ropes to snare it and bring it ashore.

Source: Washington Post; various CCA Members

Conclusions: This dam has been the scene of many drownings over the years, but this was the worst tragedy ever. As a result of this accident the Corps of Engineers filled the downstream area with grout-filled sandbags, which broke up the hydraulic and made the drop less dangerous.

A new law mandading placement of warning signs also forbidds paddlers from coming within 100 yards of the dam. This latter regulation is not very smart. At low water, 100 yards is way too far for experienced paddlers. At high water it's not nearly far enough to protect novices . The Military placed Little Falls off limits to their personnel.

Report Status: Completed

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

No wonder I had never seen the dam. Chain Bridge is a little too far up for my boat. We don't get too much above the Three Sisters.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

1. start engine before pulling anchor
2. attach tow lines to bow, not stern
Newbies?? How would they know. Reading the news paper account I saw it coming before I finished the sentence :(:(.

jinx

Re achoring at the stern:

"3. On Sunday, June 11, two men were fishing in the Susquehanna River between Port Deposit and the Conowingo Dam, anchored by the stern instead of the bow. The boat capsized, and a passing boater rescued the boat's owner, Brent Horst, 22. The body of his companion, Nelson Stauffer, was later recovered. "

Sort of says it all.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep. Could be quite a while before that hydraulic gives up the bodies. Real shame.

rogerwa

Commander

Four people and a 12 foot fishing boat is a stretch in calm lake water. the river just presents too many dangers, much less to be close ot the dam. Their instinct should should have told them that. I was in my 17 Bowrider up near the Ford Dam in St Paul and was very cautious. I didn't like it at all.

As for anchoring off the stern, I can tell you that it is done in these little boats because it is easy to get to. the driver is usually in the back using a tiller and it is very easy to drop it over the backend. the alternative is to crawl your way up front and drop it over the bow.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Another local tragedy
12Foot boats offshore and in rapids, substandard, or ill-operating equipment, improper safety procedures kill out there.
That's why I love this site. It educates us.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

fished at this very spot........That river is the real deal. That Dam no different.....So sad.......

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Well the river spit one up. I beleive it was the mother that was found. The US Fish and Wildlife found the body about 1/2 mile down stream. Im sure the rest will show up soon.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tragic !! A little education in safety and do's and dont's can go a long way !!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

A couple of miles from here we have the dam for lake allatoona. About 3 1/2 miles down there is a low head spillway. There is jonboat access about a half a mile down from the main dam. There are shoals and it is less than 6 inches deep in most places above the ramp. No issue about boats below the main dam. Because the lake is released for water generation, there is almost no current during the times of no water release. I imagine you would hit the dam and bounce back, as the lack of current and water coming downstream wouldn't equate to more than 3 or so inches above the low head dam. But even so, there are NO signs or anything other than one at the top of the boat ramp that says "submerged dam 3 miles downstream." I have been down that direction before, but we didn't get within about 200 yards of the dam, and couldn't see much other than a lack of water. If you weren't paranoid searching for the d*** dam (pun intended) I would doubt it would be seen.