40hp Force Water Pump Questions

willawalla

Cadet
I just acquired a 40hp Force outboard engine. It's a two cylinder and from the late 90's. Is there any "pee-hole" where the water comes out? Where would it come out? And any tips for how to make sure the water does come out or how to fix it will greatly appreciated. Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40hp Force Water Pump Questions

Water only sprays/splatters out of the 2 exhaust relief holes on the back side of the motor.

You can add a real tell tale for under $10, by attaching a fitting to the plugged hole above the thermostat, then routing a hose out the side.

Always a good idea to replace the water pump impeller when you buy a motor. Then replace it every few years. Cheap maintenance item.

chilipena

Recruit

Water only sprays/splatters out of the 2 exhaust relief holes on the back side of the motor.

You can add a real tell tale for under $10, by attaching a fitting to the plugged hole above the thermostat, then routing a hose out the side.

Always a good idea to replace the water pump impeller when you buy a motor. Then replace it every few years. Cheap maintenance item.

Any details someone can supply on how to add the 'real tell tale' would be appreciated. I take I need to drill out the plugged hole above the thermostat? Where is the thermostat located? I have a 40 HP, 1999 Force.

emoney

Commander

There's a "sticky" at the top of these threads here in the "Force Chrysler"
forum that gives you the skinny in an easy to read "step-by-step" layout.
It's titled, "Can I add a Telltale to a Force". I don't know about your 90 model
but my 83 the thermostat is on the top of the top cylinder. There's 3 screws
on mine on the housing itself. It's a lot simpler than you think.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Top of the head above the spark plug to find the thermostat,it has 3 screws holding it in.
To add a teltale.Follow the sticky.J

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No need to drill into the water jacket or thermostat.

There should be a 1/4" pipe plug in the top of the head, just ahead of the thermostat. Part 20 in the link below.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/images/FORCE/809729/9.gif

Remove the plug, install brass fitting with hose barb, add 3 feet of tubing, route to a visible exit point, drill hole for tubing. Presto, done for $7.