Rub Rail Mess

bmetros

Cadet
The Admiral was at the wheel when a gust of wind blew us into the dock. Everything seems OK except a section of the lower rear rub rail was pulled off and mangled, just screws sticking out. The rail is kind of in the shape of a sideways S or Z and there is no way to bend it back, stainless steele I think. I'll probably have to cut the piece off (about a 2 foot section), but how do I bend a new piece to fit? If I pick up a alumn piece from taco marine, will that be easier to bend? It's a 1992 Maxum 2300 SCR.

Thanks All.

flashback

Captain
Re: Rub Rail Mess

Why don't you give the maxim folks a holler and see if they can help you?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The aluminum rail you buy from Taco will bend with your bare hands easily. Have something solid and round to start forming it to. If you try bending it with just your hands, it can kink.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the OEM won't help, you can try some of the large discount marine chains. They carry several different kinds of rubrail. You will need to match it up, or come close. Remember, no one can see both sides of the boat at the same time. If the rub rail is similar but different on each side, it is likely no one will notice. Same as having different wheel covers on a car. Just make sure the ones on a side match!