Clams... Inline experts...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Replacing all the gaskets. Got the powerhead apart (left the pistons along no ring compressors available).

What sealants should I use on the surfaces and gaskets? I have a concern on the water jacket by the spark plugs.

I also did not mess with the exhaust plates.

Carb kits are enroute.

Suggestions?

Should I coat the o rings in grease or 2 stroke oil or install as is?

Thanks,
Bob

Laddies

Banned
Re: Clams... Inline experts...

Bob, the gaskets require no sealants. I don't use any except around the plugs I do use #2 Form A Gasket and alway use a straight edge and be sure the plate has a .010 preload around the plugs and that will help cure the leaking problem - Bob

Bob_VT

Staff member

The plate that sorrounds the plug should be .010 higher than the edges? Is that what you mean? If so do you reccomend I build that area up or trim the entire plate?

I have access to the equipment (surface grinder) to do that.

Laddies

Banned

Bob, in most cases you can tap it or a few I have use a small arbor press to it spring down. I support the area around the hole and just spring the area at the hole down a little, most spring quite easily. if you look at the hole originally there was a small boss around the hole at the gasket surface

Bob_VT

Staff member

That I can do w/o problem Thanks.... now when the gaskets get here I should be ready. :)

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put mine together with permetex ultra black except for the crank case I used permatex aviation sealant (stays runny and wont shim the halves). I used a good marine grease to coat the o rings and filled the gap between the 2 bottom seals with it as well (Make sure you replace these seals).
Regards Jon

Clams Canino

Commander

I use the black on that plate. And Yammabond 4 on the case halves.

-W

Bob_VT

Staff member

Since my earlier post..... I am going to do the exhaust gaskets too. I was tld to epoxy the bolts in (on the inside) since they are famous for rattling and vibrating out. Looking to avoid the leaks.

Yammabond 4 ......... I used to use that on Triumph Motorcycle engines. Great idea.

Oh yeah...... that center carb nut is a treat on the bowl side!!