Did Imus provide....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....any thing of value, to anyone, other than......? He has been off our Portland/Vancouver airwaves for some time. I tried to listen to him, but other than the fact that he came to despise Hillary, I couldn't find much value in him. Kind of like the Howard Stern of .....?

What say ya'll?

ob

Admiral
Re: Did Imus provide....

I guess he has his followers but I never really placed much weight on his comments and have never listened to him at length.I think of him as a Paul Harvey wannabe.Unless he was already planning his retirement,he should have known better than to try his last lame attempt at humor.Not that his greatest critic Al Sharpton and his posse rises to a higher level.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, he is outa there.
MSNBC has kicked him off their show.:cool:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I used to listen to him when I lived in NY....
He had his funny moments......
This PC shiite does grow tiresome......
This nation is like a bowl of jello......
WAH!......
You hurt my feeelings.....
I'm gonna whine on TV......
I would like to see the 'victims' grow a pair.....
We used to have a saying in Jersey when ya got your feelings hurt....
It was boo @#$%ing hoo!
They are from there, they should be tougher than being reduced to a bunch of whiners & pulers, IMHO........:)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, the circus has started.
The team to be on Oprah.:rolleyes:

LadyFish

Admiral

Imus had a responsibility to the network and its sponsors and abide by its rules of good taste. What he said was in poor taste, he should have corrected the caller who originated the first part of the statement and been done with it.

Bad judgment that has cost him.

PW2

Commander

I watched Imus all the time on MSNBC.

I even saw the original remark about the Rutgers team live. I am one who generally has controversial remarks simply go by relatively unnoticed, and even I was outraged by his specific comments.

That said, he did a ton of good things. He applied pressure and got the death benefits for soldiers increased from $6,000 to more than a quarter million.
He raised a ton of money for the "fallen heros fund" to build a rehab center in Texas

He provided a forum for the recent Walter Reed and the VA scandal to get attention, and pressure to have officials accountable.

etc...

And he provided a forum for politicians, columnists, and all sorts of others from varied areas of the political spectrum a place to discuss at length their individual positions.

And he provided a place for authors to promote their books, and I have bought a lot of good books that I probably never would have heard about...

That said, he went over the line frequently in his attempts at humor, and were often lame, and he would tend to the sophomoric gutter humor would often be painful to watch.

All in all, I'm very sorry he's gone, and to the extent that it empowers the Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's of the world to be moral arbiters for broacasters, I'm doubly sorry about that.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

All this hoopla is sure to spike his ratings when he goes back behind the mic. Not me. Never litsened before anyhow. But I still say the double standard here is blinding. Let's hope this wakes up those of color who would say such things without impunity. Disrespect is disrespect no matter if you're of the same ethnic group or not.

PW2

Commander

All this hoopla is sure to spike his ratings when he goes back behind the mic. Not me. Never litsened before anyhow. But I still say the double standard here is blinding. Let's hope this wakes up those of color who would say such things without impunity. Disrespect is disrespect no matter if you're of the same ethnic group or not.

What made his show good was the columnists, magazine writers, authors and politicians etc that would appear on his show and spend 10 to 15 minutes discussing anything and everything. They are not likely to return, and without them, there is only the lame humor left, and that won't carry him very far, IMO.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Same thing happened to my favorite boss jock The Greaseman a few years back. Strictly a comedian, though - never assumed any social relevance. Worked his way up to a nationally-syndicated show, made an offensive comment & promptly got canned. He made the TV talk-show rounds & said his apologies - now he's back on a 500-watt daytimer in DC. A talented guy will always bounce back somewhere, but probably never to the same status as before "the remark".

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I allways hated that liberal, self-righteous windbag. But Sharpton has said much worse.

Imus is not the center of this issue. He is the vehicle. Be ready for a full-frontal assault on freedom of speech starting with legislation to censor talk radio, then TV, then your local town hall square. Sieg hiel, Al. The big brothers aren't just watching anymore.

Coors

Captain

Jesse and Al disrespect all . Can I take offense?

OldMercsRule

Captain

Badly broken media, badly broken Country. We are upside down. Imus is a Liberal, who Boom feels has one redeaming quality: he dislikes Hillary. I am ambivalent. I never listened to him on the Radio, but occasionally watched him when I channel serfed the cable news channels. I found him more entertaning and his news portion much more accurate and entertaining then Kieth Olbermann, and less entertaining then Glenn Beck. Could not see any cornsistency in his views or presentation other then he was a 'shock jock' who was very sloppy. He has been very sloppy for many years with racist and junk jokes, that were many times mean and picked on various people, by making fun of negative personal attributes. That said: mindless minions seem to have a lot of power these days, in definning hate speech, hate laws, n' emotions galore. Scientific polling and the lack of education, historical knowledge and apathy is becomming a real problem for this Country. JR

Coors

Captain

The funny thing is, jesse and al got a fellow lib fired.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hey Coors, they don't care who they stuff, or hijack, it is not ideology, it is proof that they can agitate a large number of truly mindless people. Imus was a sloppy joker; racist? Maybe, but who really knows except: Imus, unless you can read minds as most Liberals feel they can? Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson clearly are racists as anyone who can observe and think about what they see and hear can cornclude. The real deal here is how easy these two racists can work over major American Corporations for large $. Don't think that Al and Jessie, aren't real excited about this latest show of their real power. More hijackin' ta come. Stay tuned folks. JR

oddjob

Commander

I never heard of him until now...But I remember AL and Jess from way back. They've dumped alot of trash along their way.

If Imus had any nads, he would back out of the apoligy. Since he said nothing wrong in the first place my brothas!

ob

Admiral

The fact that he was a liberal was trumped by the fact that he was a 'cracker' in the eyes of Sharpton's posse.Sharpton and his bunch are anti-white racists.Plain and simple.Do not pass go,do not collect 200.Anyone that disputes that is retarded,brainwashed,spineless,or a racists themselves.While Imus' comments were off color and in poor taste,this entire scenario has been grossly exaggerated.Frankly ,I'm not surprised at all.