Stuck Check Ball, help

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I finally discovered my problem, the check ball under the accelerator pump in my two barrel rochester is totally stuck down in its cavity, any advice on how to remove it and clean down in there?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Stuck Check Ball, help

if it's just goo, maybe some carb cleaner and a magnet? just a thought.....

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea it looks like its buildup from bad gas, its worked in there pretty good

Coors

Captain

pressurized air on the other end of the passage. Don't lose the ball, though

ziggy

Admiral

i was thinkin that too coors. thought it'd be pretty easy to loose the check ball like that, + didn't know if there was access to the proper air passage to be blowin into it.

yer gonna need to soak the carb anyways for a good clean + use air to blow out the passages anyways. maybe just soak if for a few days. maybe it'll fall out......maybe......

hope that passage for the check ball aint wore out and too big, lettin the check ball fall into and wedge into the hole. seems like that'd be a deadline item for the carb body to me....just thinkin out loud...

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I got it out with compressed air, good idea !!

Coors

Captain

and soak it in gunk carb cleaner, can get it anywhere

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If the carb is really gunked up with a lot of that white oxidation powder a little bit of battery acid will work a miracle. Just remember, it only takes a minute or two for the acid to do the job. Then rinse well with water. Repeat if necessary.

Coors

Captain

Reel poor; battery acid? I used to rebuild carbs, but they never would tell us what chems we were using. lol . but what is the chem you finish off with?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I only use the battery acid to clean the heavy oxidation deposits that are left in the carb when the water and gas has basically evaporated and left a big mess. After inatially cleaning the bulk of the crud with the acid I would then soak it in a carb cleaner overnight, rinse well with water and blow it dry with compressed air.

Just use caution when using the acid because it works pretty fast. If it's left to soak unattended you may come back to a wet spot, where your carb was once sitting. :^