Iran to release British sailors

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Iran to release British sailors

rolmops said:
12Foots said:
Rush Limbaugh said:
"Does anybody think that 15 United States Marines would just sit there, allow themselves to be taken when they had not invaded Iranian waters, and in two days start apologizing on Iranian TV? No way. Semper fi. No way."

I am so glad that Rush is in his arm chair and not in Iraq

[colour=blue]BTW Rolmops, That came from Ralph Peters' article yesterday. Bash him by all means!! JR [/colour]

OldMercsRule

Captain

rolmops said:
Guys,if it worked so well,they would have kept these sailors a bit longer and milked it more.
Internationally,the Iranians were damaged by this incident and they are seen as even less reliable than they were before.
They needed to get out of this situation fast, without loosing face and they performed a decent act of damage control,by presenting the soldiers as an Easter present to the british people.

[colour=blue]Rolmops, Please get me some of that smoke that gives you these visions r' insights r' the buzz! JR[/colour]

rolmops

Vice Admiral

OldMercsRule said:
rolmops said:
Guys,if it worked so well,they would have kept these sailors a bit longer and milked it more.
Internationally,the Iranians were damaged by this incident and they are seen as even less reliable than they were before.
They needed to get out of this situation fast, without loosing face and they performed a decent act of damage control,by presenting the soldiers as an Easter present to the british people.

[colour=blue]Rolmops, Please get me some of that smoke that gives you these visions r' insights r' the buzz! JR[/colour]

Murky,
It is called situation analysis and it is a small part of my part time financial consulting business.People pay me nicely for it and they think a lot of my conjuring.I think of doing it full time.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

i386 said:
.... but this will probably been seen as victory for Tony Blair as well.

Oh yeah, if groveling on your hands and knees can be construed as a victory!:|

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It all boils down to overlapping territory. Iran thinks that area is theirs, Iraq thinks it's theirs. I seem to recall other such disagreements where one country declares a larger perimeter than maritime norms. Say Iraq says 10 miles offshore, and Iran says 20. By the way, Syria brokered the deal, whatever that was. Probably has nothing to do with Pelosi's visit, but maybe it does. Stay tuned...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

rolmops said:
Me too. I'm so glad he isn't being silenced by his military dictum to abstain from political debate, while being forced to follow orders from a mob of senators, while watching insurgents mobilise without intervention.
But cowboy-up, rolmops. You still have a potential censorship law in the werks to silence him stateside also.
So far, it hasn't gotten any traction. But give it time. After all, if you got cigarettes outlawed, this should be a cake-walk! :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

12Foots said:
rolmops said:
Me too. I'm so glad he isn't being silenced by his military dictum to abstain from political debate, while being forced to follow orders from a mob of senators, while watching insurgents mobilise without intervention.
But cowboy-up, rolmops. You still have a potential censorship law in the werks to silence him stateside also.
So far, it hasn't gotten any traction. But give it time. After all, if you got cigarettes outlawed, this should be a cake-walk! :)

Foots,that is a BIG mistake,you just made.
Much as I dislike Rush,I would hate to have him shut up.
Because in this country there is freedom of speech(with the exception of hate speech) and I like it that way.If anybody would try to find a way to try and shut him up,I would fervently protest and I bet you that the American Civil Liberties Union would be there on the barricades to defend his right to freedom of speech!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Oh really, the ACLU didn't stand up against the fairness doctrine the first time around. Republicans did. I have serious doubts about the ACLU supporting anything that doesn't represent their communistic roots.

Back on point: The msm is living up to its reputation. Headlines like, "Iran to free British sailors". Like Lincoln freed the slaves. They took hostages for crips sakes. They took 15 sailors out of a rubber boat and held them hostage. Then the msm reports that this is a "gift to the British people". WOW, I can't wait for Christmas. No mention of the violations of the Geneva Convention. How did they miss that? No wait I don't believe they could have.

And I love this quote from Al AP:

Regardless of the territorial issue, the standoff showed that Tehran has ways to push back after the U.S. and Britain beefed up their military presence in the Persian Gulf this year.

They think terroristic acts are a "way(s) to push back". Once again, the line for Kool-aid forms to the left.

treedancer

Commander

If Newt runs for President, I hope someone ask him why in 1987, he along with Jesse Helms, voted for a bill to reinstate it. Not everyone believes the Fairness Doctrine would help the left.

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i386 said:
I'll be relieved when I hear they're back some safe. I think we can all agree with that.

You guys be careful what you say. You don't want to sound like those liberals who want soldiers to die so they can be right.

[colour=null][colour=red]Yep, we shore wouldn't want to help the one ally that stuck by us the last 4 years...Wouldn't want to send the world THAT message...[/[/colour]colour]

Make no mistake, I don't think this was anything more than a PR move by Ahmadinejad. But I don't think blowing up the place was the right thing to do this time. Furthermore, I don't think it was OUR place to do anything. It could have gotten to that point, but I'm glad it didn't.

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. "Crank up the Enola Gay".
2. Get a couple of low yield tactical nukes and turn the whole place into a paved lot.
3. Change the regions name to "Irate".
4. Drill through the core and suck the oil out from the bottom.
5. Buy that 28 foot aft cabin you've always wanted and pull her with a 3500,heck gas dropped to .10 a gallon.

Ignore grass clippings in beer...

Skinnywater

Commander

Gabby said:
1. "Crank up the Enola Gay".
2. Get a couple of low yield tactical nukes and turn the whole place into a paved lot.
3. Change the regions name to "Irate".
4. Drill through the core and suck the oil out from the bottom.
5. Buy that 28 foot aft cabin you've always wanted and pull her with a 3500,heck gas dropped to .10 a gallon.

Ignore grass clippings in beer...

Buy ammo, our leaders are going the other direction.

i386

Captain

12Foots said:
Rush Limbaugh said:
"Does anybody think that 15 United States Marines would just sit there, allow themselves to be taken when they had not invaded Iranian waters, and in two days start apologizing on Iranian TV? No way. Semper fi. No way."

Edit: I won't add to that.

I've been wanting to ask, but I've been waiting for a more approiate time. Now they the sailors are home, here goes. As far as I know, it's unprecedented to have US servicemen on TV/radio etc... apologizing or saying their country was in the wrong. I was surprised to see this coming from the sailors and even more surprised I didn't hear any comments about it.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I would like to take this opportunity to share the words a wise man once said-

i386

Captain

Guess nobody wants to touch that one (I was hesitant to post) or I didn't do a good job of asking. Here goes again. Not fishin' or trollin', here's all the cards.

If a US captured serviceman were on TV/radio/recording apologizing the way the UK sailor did what would be said?

Can't pay attention to what he said? Was probably tortured or at gunpoint? - Kinda hurts the "pro torture" argument doesn't it?

Disgraceful? The guy dishonored himself and his country? -That's thin ice to tread on these days.

Hey, I bet you've never served you POS so you don't get to ask that question.

So yea, I'm done. Just wondered what you guys think.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Well perhaps they were French sailors. That would explain the quick confessions to nothing.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

POINTER94 said:
Well perhaps they were French sailors. That would explain the quick confessions to nothing.
:) there you go again with that "brevity soul" stuff! :)
Amen, Doug.

OldMercsRule

Captain

rolmops said:
Me thinks that the entire incident started with an overzealous Iranian coast guard crew.Iran did not want it and Britain did not want it. Everybody scrambled to save face and with the proper diplomatic hot air the entire incident was defused.
The Iranians do a lot of business through the Basra port,which is under British control.They did not want to loose it.At the same time the Brits have not interfered in the trade.
My guess is that everybody just wanted this inconvenience to go away.

[colour=blue]Hey Rolmops, I hope you get the chance to read the Jafarzadeth article I just posted, (on my last post). If ya can try ta read it prior ta smokin' any of yer stuff, it may clear up some things about the modern Persians for ya, that ya seem real cornfusted about. When I was in the financial services business it would be real embarrassin' to be as miss informed about a major threat to yer client's investment portfolios as you seem ta be. I advised wealthy Libs and Cornservatives, and they all expected me to be on top of any potential threats to their finances, (it was an apolitical issue, and I never p***** o** my big Liberal clients, they knew I respected them and was working on their behalf). As a former pro to another: this is a good and informative read from a very good source about the modern Persians, (one of the people who helped the world catch the Iranian nuclear stunts). Enjoy. Respectfully JR [/colour]