Fuel

owenr

Cadet
I have a 2005 Bass Tracker Boat with a 2005 60HP 4 stroke Mercury engine. When i first crank it up and go, It will go for a while. When I stop to fish for 5 min or more then crank back up it will go for 3 to 4 hundred yards then cut off. It seems like it gives out of gas. I can pump the bulb and it will crank back up and go for several 100 yards and cut off again. I had a buddy of mind to pump it as I go and that works.

I had a new hose inside the tank put in and a new bulb with fuel line put on at the dealer. I also replace the peace that attaches to the elbow that comes out of the tank (It has a big ball bearing inside of it). However it still does the same thing. Please help?

Thank in advance!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel

You say "When i first crank it up and go, It will go for a while." does it finally die, or just keeps going? Define "A While"
Was it ok before all the new line and fuel bulb and antisiphon valve was installed?
Antisiphon valve= I also replace the peace that attaches to the elbow that comes out of the tank (It has a big ball bearing inside of it).

Is this engine EFI or carbed?

owenr

Cadet

Thanks for the response.

(While)= When I first put the boat in the water I will ussually go for 20 to 30 minutes before I stop to fish. The boat runs perfect until I stop to fish. Then when I crank it up and go , thats when it shuts off, like it is given out of gas.

The dealer replaced the parts because they thought that was the problem but it was not.

studlymandingo

Commander

When you say you had a buddy pump the bulb and that works, do you mean it will run fine while he is pumping? If so, then he is acting as the fuel pump; the motor runs fine because there is pressure delivering fuel to the motor. This would indicate a problem with your fuel pump. Surprised the dealer hasn't suggested this yet; kinda sounds like they are throwing parts at it.

owenr

Cadet

I changed the fuel filter this am because I seen some trash in it, however still doing the same thing. I guess I will recomend this problem to the dealer.

Are there two fuel pumps on this motor?

owenr

Cadet

Would there be a way that this could be done by me instead of the dealer? This dealer said they are 3 to 4 weeks backed up. Your help is greatly appreciated!!