70hp 93 'rude fuel pump

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've come to a decision that the problem lies at the oil pump, or the fuel has leak/ air in it.. An excess of oil is entering the pump at low RPMS. My only choice to fix the pump is to buy a whole pump ($300 + ) There is not a kit for the oil side.. Tell me what you think.. is it the entire pump or a leak in the fuel line itself?

The boat was bought 2 years ago... Last owner said a new fuel pump was installed.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 70hp 93 'rude fuel pump

The service manual detail's how to check the fuel, oil pump. Have these test's been done? A fuel restriction will effect the pump as much as a air leak. This is a vacuam, pressure test. Have both been done?

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

R.Johnson : No, vacuum tests have not been done.. I plan on taking the boat out tomorrow and giving a thorough examination.. I've got the Seloc book for my engine.. Have to find it.. but these tests are things I can perform?

I thought about going to pre mix.. BUT would have to swap out fuel pumps to do that... still costing $250.. (thru local marina).. Unless there is a way to bypass this??? What about the "no oil alarm?"

DHPMARINE

Captain

I doubt your pump is over - oiling.Probably under - fueling.I would take the motor cover off,and squeeze the fuel primer bulb,looking for leakage anywhere.

Last time I worked on a problem like yours,a cracked fuel filter was sucking air (faster than it could leak).

DHP

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually just checked the fuel.. I removed the filter, pumped the gas into a jar, then put the filter back, pumped the gas, and the gas came out fine both times.. no "foaming"... Is there something else I'm missing?

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And btw, the fuel pump IS new-ish (4 yrs old)

DHPMARINE

Captain

4 years old isn't new-ish in my book,but I still wonder if you are sucking air somewhere in the fuel system.

Squeeze the fuel bulb with everything connected and look for any leakage.

DHP

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK with everything connected, still dont see a fuel leak anywhere.

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question.. should oil drip out of the carburetor? I see a slight amount of oil dripping out of the carbs, on the side, not the front where the openings are..

jvaccarino

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can I determine where my problem lies? Bypass the VRO? If engine still smokes a lot, then it lies in the carbs? Or still a fuel issue somewhere?