A True Friend

gonfishn

Commander
We all all have had or have one now. You know that that person that no matter what, was there for you or you for him. One that never questions you on good or bad decisions that you. make in life. But will also let you know when your path is straying .

A friend is one who never tells you I told you so. I have such a friend and his name is Ed. We have been through thick and thin for 35 years. Although he never has been in the service ,he would be the one i would want either on my right or left during a firefight. in Nam.
He has been going through some tough times for the last few years. A malignent brain tumor has come back and he has lung cancer.

He has made his peace with God(from our times together we both should):^ and will opt out on any treatment. He told me that this is what he wants.

He has been my Minnesota fishing Buddy for 30 years. He cant handle a 1000 mile trip . But he and I are going to see how many lakes Ohio really has this year do and do them all.

I think the reason I am sharing this with you is that We all that that type of friend and it is tough when you know that you will not be able to share those things with him soon

We will share all those goods times we have had, sharing many goods laughs with the time we have left. The day will come soon that I will bury my friend but he will always be with me me at the co captians position when i am fishing

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: A True Friend

Prayers to Ed, his family and his friends. You don't often find a friend like that, but when you do, you are truley blessed,

Eric

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear about your friends prognoses, that really hoovers. Enjoy all you can of each other. Our prayers are going out to Ed, his family and friends.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey GF, It is my hope that someday I may have a freind who looks at me the way you do Ed. Your both lucky to have a freind like you do. I will keep him in my prayers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's tough, Jeff. Tough on you and tough on Ed, who sounds to me like a tough man.

I admire Ed's decision to forego the misery of therapy only to keep him suffering (not to mention his family or his resources) for a longer time based on a very low chance of recovery.

I hope that should I be in his position someday I have the guts to do the same.

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

sorry to hear about your friend, great friends are hard to find, friend is a small word but has an ocean of memories.
thoughts go out to you both

Mr & Mrs jimlad

fireman57

Captain

gonfishn, you and I have the same thing in common. Both have a friend like that. Everyday I thank the Lord for my family and my friends. I feel sorry for people ( and I know of four or five) that have no friends much less a best friend like this. Losing them is tough and the way he is going out is admirable. Glad he has this friend in you so that he has someone to go out with in a blaze of glory. Wear those lakes out. The best advice I can give is that you will always remember that you had to have a best friend like that in order to lose a best friend in this way.

ZmOz

Captain

I know exactly what you mean. I've been to WAY too many funerals recently...this summer is really going to suck without a lot of my friends. :'(

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Dang GF, don't know what to say. I guess thats you and Ed in your avatar. Good luck to all involved.

ehenry

Commander

Prayers to Ed and his family. Those type friends are truly rare and cant ever really be replaced.