Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Ok this may push me into getting a face book account. I have resisted the movement. Everyone in my family has one and I am the hold out. I am just a old diehard of emails and forums.

Where is lake clark? I never been there and where in conowingo do you go. I have always wanted to explore above the dam. I never been on that body of water so this spring maybe we could go out and you can show me some new areas.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lake Clarke is between York and Lancaster. It's about a 7 mile long stretch that is, for the most part, completely open and navigable. It's pretty nice but gets crazy on the weekends in-season. I wouldn't drive past Conowingo to get there if you know what I mean :) but it's only 20 mins from my house so I go theree during the week often. Conowingo is over 20 miles long and has very little traffic. Conowingo is awesome. My uncle has a cottage on the norther end of it and I have been going down there my whole life. From his cottage up-river requires some knowledge but from there (Peach Bottom nuclear) down river is prety well open. I'd be happy to show you around.

skargo

Banned

Yeah, I want to get above the dam sometime too, Peach Bottom has an awesome ramp facility.

mooneys

Recruit

Hello,

New to he group, been to the flats once, hartmiller a couple times and Jellyfish Joels. I put in at Middle River when I head to the bay. Unfortunately had to sell the truck and need to find a place to dry dock the boat in the spring. I'm torn between the bay and Ocean City. I'm guessing I'll see more Bay recommendations here huh? LOL. I'd love to find a place I can store the boat, have it put in for the weekend and then still be able to camp in our camper onsite or nearby. Any places like that in the upper bay area? I may be asking for a lot. I definitely need a place to store the boat on the trailer or rack that puts it in and out for you since I don't have a truck and probably won't for next season.

Looking forward to more boating in any case. The boat sat dry this past season :-( I just re-winterized it and have the bug to get it out again this spring.

Mooney

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,

New to he group, been to the flats once, hartmiller a couple times and Jellyfish Joels. I put in at Middle River when I head to the bay. Unfortunately had to sell the truck and need to find a place to dry dock the boat in the spring. I'm torn between the bay and Ocean City. I'm guessing I'll see more Bay recommendations here huh? LOL. I'd love to find a place I can store the boat, have it put in for the weekend and then still be able to camp in our camper onsite or nearby. Any places like that in the upper bay area? I may be asking for a lot. I definitely need a place to store the boat on the trailer or rack that puts it in and out for you since I don't have a truck and probably won't for next season.

Looking forward to more boating in any case. The boat sat dry this past season :-( I just re-winterized it and have the bug to get it out again this spring.

Mooney

I dont know how big your boat is but dont forget most U haul places rent a pick up truck for 19.00 a day. Most of them have hitches. I know our sailing club rents one each spring to move 22 foot sail boats back and forth from storage. Depends how much you will use the boat if it is worth paying for hi and dry storage or rent a tow truck. Take a look at Tidewater marina in Havre de Grace. They might be what your looking for on the upper bay. Good Luck

TRAILERS
Most U-Haul trucks are fully equipped to tow a trailer.
If you plan to tow a U-Haul trailer, you will be provided
with the appropriate equipment and instructions. Read
the U-Haul Trailer User Instructions thoroughly.
Follow the instructions on how to properly load and
operate your truck/trailer combination.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I want to get above the dam sometime too, Peach Bottom has an awesome ramp facility.

Yes it looks pretty nice from the water. Haven't used it myself. It does look steep. I'm sure it's no match for your tow rig though :)

mooneys

Recruit

I dont know how big your boat is but dont forget most U haul places rent a pick up truck for 19.00 a day. Most of them have hitches. I know our sailing club rents one each spring to move 22 foot sail boats back and forth from storage. Depends how much you will use the boat if it is worth paying for hi and dry storage or rent a tow truck. Take a look at Tidewater marina in Havre de Grace. They might be what your looking for on the upper bay. Good Luck

Yep, checked into it and that's my plan for getting the boat down to the bay or beach in DE/MD, but I hadn't thought of doing it on a regular basis for weekend day trips to the bay or river. I'll have to check that out. My boat is a 24 foot Formula 242SS, deep hull heavy boat, so it would take a u-haul to pull it for sure. I use to tow it with a diesel F250, awesome tow truck, I miss it :-(

I'll check out Tidewater for sure. I live up Northwest of York, PA so HdG or Northeast would work out well as does middle river area. I had been looking at middle river marinas, but then I was torn as to where to take it...beach or bay.

Anyway, maybe both if the U-haul option works out.

Thanks,

Mooney

Blue Crabber

Ensign

As you've read about in this thread a couple of the guys have gotten together a couple times for raft ups and we did have a fall foliage cruise planned but it got mostly rained out. We're hoping to do more next year.

Welcome to those that just found this awesome thread!!! As EZ said, you can bet that there will be more meetings this coming year. (Even if it is just Skargo and me out in the rain when eveyone else bails ;) JK!) Not to much better than hanging out on the water with friends!!

skargo

Banned

Welcome to those that just found this awesome thread!!! As EZ said, you can bet that there will be more meetings this coming year. (Even if it is just Skargo and me out in the rain when eveyone else bails ;) JK!) Not to much better than hanging out on the water with friends!!

LOL, you know it. We be hardcore! :D

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to meeting everyone this spring or maybe we could meet at the winter boat show in Timonium if any of you go to the winter boat shows? I hope to have my boat done by early spring and to get out and do some rock fishing. If any of you like to hang out and work on a boat or just watch me work I have a nice heated garage and cold brews. I soon will be installing the motor back on the boat. I then need to get the motor tuned up and ready to go. Anyone good at installing water pumps on a 150 Johnny?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hello,

....need to find a place to dry dock the boat in the spring......I'd love to find a place I can store the boat, have it put in for the weekend and then still be able to camp in our camper onsite or nearby. Any places like that in the upper bay area?...... I definitely need a place to store the boat on the trailer or rack that puts it in and out for you since I don't have a truck and probably won't for next season.
Mooney
UM, YEAH!
In Northeast, Md. contact Anchor Boats. They have a large Hi and Dry rack service. http://www.anchorboat.com/

As far as camping, Elk Neck State Park is about 8 miles past Northeast, near Turkey Point. They have 278 campsites and cover 2,188 acres. They have an excellent day boating area (Rogues Harbor) with a 4 lane ramp, gas, rentals, etc. http://www.baygateways.net/contact.cfm?id=71

Your Welcome! :D
Skargo, you're slipping! I thought you'd know all about that....

SuperNova

Lieutenant

UM, YEAH!
In Northeast, Md. contact Anchor Boats. They have a large Hi and Dry rack service. http://www.anchorboat.com/

As far as camping, Elk Neck State Park is about 8 miles past Northeast, near Turkey Point. They have 278 campsites and cover 2,188 acres. They have an excellent day boating area (Rogues Harbor) with a 4 lane ramp, gas, rentals, etc. http://www.baygateways.net/contact.cfm?id=71

Your Welcome! :D
I was thinking the same thing, but I figured if skargo didn't mention it then something must have changed since the last time I was down in July.

skargo

Banned

I was deferring to you! I've never personally tried those places out :D

Sort of on topic, we're looking at those places at Buttonwood Beach, they sell pretty cheaply, just need to find out if you can keep your boat there while staying.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We launch from rogues harbor. It's not bad. Getting there with a 27 foot cabin cruiser is fun. (hilly and alot of turns and narrow roads). It's also unprotected. If a big barge is coming up your going to get knocked around a little bit. Plus the store and fuel service is only available friday, sat and sunday and that's weather dependent

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope all my new to be made upper Chesapeake friends have a great thanksgiving. It was nice to take the family that know my boat but have not seen it since we painted her all up and installed the new transom over to see the hard work. I was happy to see that they all loved the new looks the boat had.

Well enjoy your Thanksgiving. I plan on eating way too much and falling asleep watching a football game I dont really care about who wins. Hmmmm Just like last year. :D

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Rogues Harbour is nice with lots of ramps. I have launched there a couple of times. The two things I don't like about it is that it is not procteced as mentioned already. The other thing is that the ramp is not very steep so you have to back in pretty far. But it's not to bad. Overall, a very nice ramp.

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

StanPullingTubeKidsBoat1-1.jpg

Here's a shot from July 4th of me towing 4 kids in a tube in the mouth of the Bohemia River before heading up to Notheast for the fireworks.

skargo

Banned

That is a GREAT pic Stan!

I wish I knew you were around that weekend, I was out and about then. We'll meet next year hopefully.