Prop stuck on shaft!

jakeruppert

Cadet
This thing is corroded tight, I have tried a puller I fabricated, and penitrating oil. I almost pulled the prop off of the hub but the rubber won in the end. Does anyone have a suggestion. My next plan was to cut the prop off of it's hub so I could get a decent puller on the hub to seperate it from the prop shaft?

ricksrster

Commander
Re: Prop stuck on shaft!

I went through this last year. PB Blaster, Heat, and a Puller. Took about a week. Destroyed the prop. I was replacing it any way. Just keep at it. Remember when you reinstall prop to use GREASE! Come to think of it, I did end up pulling the prop right off the hub.

jakeruppert

Cadet

I have tried other penitrating oils, but not PB. I was looking for it, but no luck will try again. Will also try the heat. If I wreck the prop thats ok.

I did not install the prop, so I am not sure about the thrust washer.

Thanks for the help!

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the same problem. I tried everything and finally got it off with heat. It took a lot of heating from an oxy-acetylene torch. I don't think a propane would have worked. This WILL destroy the prop. You may want to consider running the old until it spins...kinda wished I had done that cuz new props aren't cheap!

Keep fire extinguisher (i.e. hose) handy. It can easily start buring...mine did. This is how the mechanics do it. Good luck. It definitely takes a lot of heating (to the prop) 15 minutes for mine. Also I recommend heating the prop and not the shaft so you don't ruin the lower unit seal...

go get it.8)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Its toast. Drill some holes in the prop body..burn the rubber out..hacksaw..sawzall..save the shaft at all cost (or MUCHO cost)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What kind of puller did you use ???