engine will not run for long

jmhillusn

Cadet
i have a 1985 vro 70 johnson engine that when in a bucket runs great. when i put her on the lake she will ride fine for a couple of minutes and then stall out and it is almost impossible to get running again. if i disconnect the fuel hose and pump everything out of the system then reconnect and pressurize the fuel hose she will start and run for a minute then repeat symptoms. how long does the vro pump last? this is a claimed to be 2 year old pump.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine will not run for long

are you getting any kind of alarm. is it running hot? what is your idle in gear. if you are testing on muffs and setting idle, it will not idle in the water, because on muffs there is not backpressure on the exhaust. it has to idle like at 800 on muffs to idle at 650 in gear in the water. you also may have a carb problem.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Your carb's need cleaning, they are not pulling fuel when you get above the idle circuit.

jmhillusn

Cadet

just had engine overhauled by shop. stated they were good to go. i have adjusted the idle arms but found the fuel side of my vro was failing just replaced. symptons different now. i got her dialed in so she will barey troll. what is the best way to sync carbs with timing?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's a step by step process, covered in the manual, to lengthy for here, and certain engines are different.