need help with a free boat (newbe)

mr mike

Cadet
Hi I was at work and asked about a old boat like mid 1980's that was sitting on top of the hill and my boss said would you like it so i got a boat. This is all i now .
boat vin on back right side is --- blbs28lb1081-2v
on the out drive (i think that is what you call it) mercruiser
6015243 -- 1.98 r power trim 6035974

on the valve cover -- mercury marine divison brunswick corp model #mcm 120
displacement 153 cid

if some one can help me out that would be great.
the motor some one took the head off it and the inside is
well all gone but on the good side i have 4.3 v6 chev motor and a buick 350 v8 sitting in my shop looking for a new home thanks for any help mike
and hp 120

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help with a free boat (newbe)

You have a 2.5 liter 120HP chevy four cylinder marine engine. 1.98 is apparently the gear ratio of the lower unit. The Buick 350 will not work as the bell housing bolt patterns are not the same as the four banger and besides, you have exhaust issues to contend with and the outdrive will likely go up in smoke with the added power. You have the same issues with the 4.3 V6 although the outdrive would probably handle the power. You will find out quickly that free boats are not free. Consider your options carefully. I suggest you post this information on the Mercruiser I/O forum as that group is far more informed. Don S. will give you an education in I/O's.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the boat is even salvagable your best bet would be to rebuild that engine or go with the same type reman..
I would worry more about it setting in the weather and the transom and stringers being rotten.
Fixing an old boat can cost twice as much as buying a good used one in running condition.

Welcome Aboard and best of luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

by the hin it was built by Brunswick Family Boat CO Inc, Arlingto VA october, 1981. brunswick is the parent company of many boats, mercury, mariner, mercruiser.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

One option is to donate it and collect the minimum 500 bucks next tax season..only if you itemize....The sweat equity and number of hours you will put into this is likely not worth it...better off to pay a few bucks for a boat that runs...I would rather fish from shore than spend my summer cursing at my boat.

You have a pic?

mr mike

Cadet

ok thanks for all the info. I will post a pix of the boat later time for bed.

mr mike

Cadet

ok i was going to get some pic but the boat in now covered in about a foot of snow -- but i will get up soon

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sorry, bought the snow, it's great in Florida.