Alpha or Bravo

wtwmoney

Cadet
As you may remember I'm the one that was having problems with my drive units. I was wandering if it would be best to switch over to bravo drives? If so what would I have to fabricate or so have it? And which drive unit would be best for my application? It's a '84 Carrera with twin 454's at about 500 hp. In the future I may rebuild the motors up to about 800hp. I'm a motor and speed freak. What would you recommend?:devil:

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha or Bravo

If you are a speed freak and planning on installing engines with that kind of horsepower I would go with Bravos for sure if not Bravo 1 XR's. I think 400 hp is about the limit for a Bravo one unless you really baby it, a drive shower and synthetic gear lube help. To go from an Alpha to a Bravo drive you would need to change to a Bravo transom assembly and that requires removal of the engine. The Bravo assembly has 2 more holes than an Alpha transom assembly but other than that its pretty similar. Sounds like it will be a pretty sweet ride with that kind of power.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

You definately need to upgrade, unless you enjoy replacing drives.

wtwmoney

Cadet

Would I also need to replace the trans. or upgrade in anyway? Or is that considered part of the drive as well? Also any place you could recommend on purchasing the units? I just don't want to get ripped off. And no I don't really enjoy taking the time to replace the drives once a year or so. Maybe someday I'll get around to posting some pics of the boat because I'm in the process of doing a costume instrument panel. Amongst replacing the units. :devil:

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no transmission, the drive itself shifts. I'd look around on ebay for some drives or locally so you could save on shipping. If you're serious about that much horsepower I would go for Bravo 1 XR's or you could buy some Bravo 1's that are shot and rebuild them with high performance parts. Teague Custom Marine is a good place for parts for high performance Bravos.

Bondo

Staff member

Would I also need to replace the trans. or upgrade in anyway?

Woooooow,........ Wait a Minute,.........

If I remember Right,.....
You're the guy with the Possibly Blown outdrive, with the Lifting Eye on the Top of it,.......
Right,..?....

You didn't mention a Transmission in your other thread,.....
You'd better Find some #s, and/ or get some Photos,......

Now it Sounds like you're spinning TRS Drives.......

While TRSs are an Older drive,+ weren't All that Common,..... They're making a Huge Comeback with the Hot-Rod Boaters because they're Danm Near Bullet-Proof........

You just Might already Have the Best Drive you can use.........

wtwmoney

Cadet

There's not any #'s any where to be found. I've damn near have stood on my head looking for #'s. If I post some photos of the drives would you be able to tell what they are? I'm not for sure if there's a trans. or not. I'm still kind of learning about I/O. I've been around outboards all my life.:devil:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Is this a CA Carrera? I'd bet money now that they are TRS's if it is truly an '84 with Big Blocks . . .

Yes, pics will do.

wtwmoney

Cadet

I'm assuming your meaning California by saying CA. For some reason I want to say yes to your question; I don't know why though. I do know it is truly an '84 Carrera SS9M; that's what exactly the title says. I found a TRS drive on Ebay & it matches mine exactly. But here is some photos anyways so you can see it. And verify PLEASE.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I just found your boat online . . . No, not a California made Carerra. These are something else. Here's a pic of your drives and yes they are TRS's and they have transmissions . . .

086a_1.JPG
d9fa_1.JPG

wtwmoney

Cadet

So would it be best to leave them in it and just rebuild them? What about the transmissions? Are they rebuildable or just leave them alone? Where and how did you find it online? Just curious; not mad! What HP are they rated for?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ya know, that might be a California boat. Here is a pic of their 31 footer:
310elan.gif

I have a 23:

Carrera%20228%20-%20small.JPG

I guess that could be the same hull as a 9 meter . . . i.e. SS9M

wtwmoney

Cadet

So I must of been replying to yours the same time you were. Change or rebuild units? Nice boat by the way. What year is yours? Mine is a 29'; but I guess you already know that.

QC

Supreme Mariner

wtw,

Mine's a 2001. Finding yours was more of an accident than anything, I just Googled Carerra SS9M and there was a link to an eBay purchase. I had a little hunch based on the date of the transaction, so I clicked on the buyer thing and it was the same username . . .

I'd stick with 'em, I like the seperate trans although I guess there is some additional weight that way. There are lots of TRS parts on eBay as well . . .

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

I step away from the 'puter for a minute,+ Look at the Chatfest you guys have been having,............d:)

wtw,.....
I've got a close Friend who's Refitting a 50'er,......
There's a Pile of TRS Stuff laying around over there,... He's going back together with 3 Bravo's,......
I don't remember exactly What's left,.... I know the Transom Assemblies are there, Possibly some outdrives,+ Whatnot.....
If you need some Parts,..... I'll hook ya up with Bobby's email addy.........

wtwmoney

Cadet

Bond-o: Please do!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously considering a complete overhaul of the mechanics. The lower units have had a severe life. To the point of someone previously bondoing the front of them. For right now I'm just trying to make it last this summer. Following winter I'm going through this boat & completely personalizing it the way I want it. Anyways back to the problem; today I did some more checking. And found that my drive shaft from the upper unit to the tranny's is still turning with the prop. Does this mean the tranny's are bad? Are what else if not? Y'all are really helpful. And that is appreciated deeply!!!!!!:devil:

Bondo

Staff member

I'll be seeing Bobby today,.......

I'll ask him What's left,+ if it's OK to hook you guys up.......

wtwmoney

Cadet

I'm not for sure if the transmission is good or not? I would appreciate any info you could give me. I checked everything today and the drive shaft is turning with the prop.

Bondo

Staff member

wtwmoney,......

I spoke with Bobby today,...... I'll pm you........

I Guess He's got 3 of Everything but the Outdrives for the TRSs,.......

wtwmoney

Cadet

I'm still a little puzzled about what's wrong with my boat! As I've explained; I'm not for sure what is exactly broke because I can grab the shaft from upper unit to the trans. and spin the prop and shaft at the same time. Also where can I get a manual for the trans. and units at? EBay doesn't have any for this particular setup.