1987 40hp johnson tune up help needed

bnoble

Recruit
I havent started this motor in a few years. Change oil, gas, plugs and go? How do i change out the oil? Any advise will help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 40hp johnson tune up help needed

If you haven't run this engine in a few years you need more than a tune up -- especially if the engine wasn't properly prepared for layup. If you intend to do this work yourself here's what you need to do:
1) Obtain a service manual
2) Remove, disassemble, soak, and thoroughly clean and reassemble the carbs with new kits.
3) If you have a portable fuel tank, drain and properly dispose of the old fuel and thoroughly clean the tank including the fuel pickup screen.
4) Replace the thermostat
5) Replace the water pump impeller.
6) drain and refill the lower unit lub.
7) Install new spark plugs.
8) Add fresh fuel/oil mix. If this is a VRO system that's still functioning, drain and clean the oil resevoir and add new oil.
9) Install a new battery or make sure the existing battery is still worth using and is fully charged.
You now stand a reasonable chance of having the engine fire and run reliably.
10) Once started, use a voltmeter to check voltage at the battery with the engine running at a fast idle. If the voltmeter reads less than 12.6 volts the charging system is not working.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard bnoble!

Check the link out. It'll take you to the FAQ forum and a post called "Awakening a sleeping Outboard". It'll tell you what you need to know before the first crank. If you have questions after reading, post them here. Always someone here to help.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=36;gtid=1035575

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, bnoble.

Welcome to iboats. :)

The best, and only, advice I can give you is to buy yourself an Owners Manual and a Service Manual.

Study both carefully before you touch your engine.

Once you have a clear idea of what you have and how it works we can answer any specific questions you may have. You can also get a lot of good advice in the Engine FAQ article on Awakening an Outboard.

Good luck. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boy do you guys type fast!!8)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Not as fast as Silvertip JB.....the dude beat me too it.....d:)d:)