Bow roller marking boat

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been reading all the threads but can't find a solution to my problem. Hope y'all can help. I have a 1977 19' Stuery Cuddy Cabin on the original tadam axel trailer. Problem is that when I winch it up the bow roller hits too far up on the bow. I have to put alot of power into the winch to get the bow roller to the proper spot. In the process it marks up the bow. If I am on a really step ramp it is much easier but it is always difficult at low tide. I can't back down the ramp any further either. I just bought new tires for the trailer that match the ones that were on it but they are on 14" rims. Should I have gone with smaller rims or is there another soulution? Thanks for any advice.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow roller marking boat

Can you post a picture of your trailer/boat?

My black bow roller also marks up my boat and Mine takes some effort to get it up that last little bit. I don't think the problem is that unusual.

14" tires are fine for your boat.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will post pics tommarow. I think it may be a problem because it has rubbed off my pin strips which looked brand new when I bought the boat. The boat was old when I bought it but not used much at all.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Iam new to this but have yu looked at a different color rolle, mine is yellow as is the boat. but seems to be of a material i couldnt see leaving a mark on any color hull.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the clear or slightly tinted ones. Not the black.

JRJ

Commander

I changed from black to yellow, and no more marks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Change the roller to another none marking one is my 2 cents !!!

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure that I fully understand the situation. If the marking up of the boat is what needs to be avoided, then changing the bumper to a polyurethane type will do the trick.

I replaced all the rollers on my trailer with polyurethane rollers and I am very pleased with the results. It rolls much easier than other type rollers and they don't leave any marks. To me it was money well spent.

Nick

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

the marking is part of the problem but it has also rubbed off my pin striping as well. I would say that my roller is too high except for this is the original tailer.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Pin stripes on the bow?? I'm only guessing but it soundsl ike they have been put on to dress the boat up before selling it! If the pin stripes are factory and its only now showing signs of wear from the roller than something is wrong. The poly rollers don't mark like the rubber ones do so that will solve the making issue. Can you post a pic?

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Batteries in camera are dead - will try to get one up tonight.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Posting pics - I agree I need a non marking bow roller. I also think I need to lower the roller on the bow. I think it should stop just above the bow cleat.

Attachments

• boat pics 001.jpg
    61 bytes · Views: 0

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay - I don't see my pic - can anyone see it? What am I doing wrong?

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a pinned forum post somewhere on here that gives instructions on how to post pictures.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

one more time.

Attachments

• boat pics 001.jpg
    61 bytes · Views: 0

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

still no luck - apparently directions in forum help do not work - mods may want to update since you can apparently not directly upload pics. Look at avatar for pic - they uploaded there with no problems.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

just looking at the avatar it looks like the pin stripes have been added later. Perhaps your pulling the boat up to far on the trailer. But we can have a closer look when you get the pics posted.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank You Plainsman!!!! I have registered at photobucket.com!! I will post pics when I get home. Boat is a 1978 - I would guess that some work had to be done to the hull at some point for it to look so good - or else it was stored in garage for many years without use. I bought it out of a back yard and it was not being well kept - but still looked good. I wash and wax reguarly but keep it outside. Only 2 inches of bunk behind transom. I have to pull it all the way up.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatpics001.jpg

Is this where the bow roller should be or should it be a few inches lower?