starter clicking

dontnoathing

Recruit
hi have a 50hp evinrude ex rnli was staring first time when last being used now when i try to start it is just clicking batts have power could any 1 help would be thankful

D

DJ

Re: starter clicking

Remove and clean ALL the battery terminals at both ends, that means the engine end also. Don't just look at them, REMOVE and clean them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of clicking is either from a weak battery, take it to the autoparts store and have it load tested. usually free. or what DWJ said. also inspect the cables for any knicks, or buldges, they can get knicked, and deteriorate from the inside out. i hunted a problem for weeks till i notice the buldge. had 2 strands still connected.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

10-4 on the load test. Anything else is just guessing. Course while it's out for load test is a good time to clean things up. d:)

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Two other possibilities a bad starter relay. They usually
don't fail over night.A bad brush in the starter This happened twice to my 88 50 when it was relatively young.Carefully use jumper cables directly to the starter to see if it will cranks.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

often if you hear the click ,but starter wont spin,its the solonoid that is bad. That is ASSUMING you did clean and inspect all the wiring.You can jump direct to the starter and see if it spins as it should.Be sure to disconnect the plug wires to avoid accidental starting.After that test,connect a positive directly from battery to the yell lead on the solonoid,if the sol. makes contact,the problem is in the wiring or key switch,.be sure all grounds are clean and tite as well as the ground for the solonoid

dontnoathing

Recruit

hi just got the chance to look in my replys ill try whats u guys suggested and let u no thanks