prop help for my 85' 200hp merc plz???

200mark

Cadet
hey, merc forum sent me here for your help.. Running an alum. 4blade 18P prop. '85 200hp V6 Merc on a 17' Pride panther ski hull.

I'm getting good hole shot for wakeboarding, skiing etc.. although the bow comes up a fair bit before planing. the 18P is also revving a bit high for barefooting or just cruising which we like doing.

So for advice on a bigger pitch prop and style for cruising and faster speed skiing over distance... 3 blade or 4?? the top speed is just under or on 50MPH @ about 6000rpm. Advice or thoughts on this plzz???

200mark

Cadet
Re: prop help for my 85' 200hp merc plz???

got some more details on boat. 16' 6" long, beam: 6' 4", & about 20" transom height (from bottom of 'V' to the top of transom where the motor bolts on). It's not a real deep V boat, and fairly light, but not a race hull, just ski/runabout. WOT would be higher than 6000rpm, but don't wanna push it past that & do motor damage. Does this help??? Plz help.... I got sum picz if this will help.

200mark

Cadet

would this kinda prop... be gd to use for speed, low rev cruisin etc?? cleaver, ss, 23P..

how do I attach pics???

Attachments

• cleaver 23p.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0
  • 23p side.jpg
    49 bytes · Views: 0

200mark

Cadet

thanks jimmbo, but the calculator only does from 2000 models up... n e more ideas or guidance as to what pitch etc? I'm sure this thing would have to do over 60 - 65mph with the right prop etc. Thanks

Ron G

Commander

What was your wot with the 18p??i would think a 18 would break your neck when blasting out the hole.and you'll problably hit the rev limiter.so are wanting to go fast or pull people?if ya wanting to go fast try the clever and give us some wot numbers.

200mark

Cadet

Thanks Ron. Yeah the 18P is great for hole shot, wakeboarding, tubing etc. And I'm not game to go to WOT as the motor is old and itz easily gone over 6000 - 6200rpm. I'd hate the motor to fall apart. The 23P cleaver is gone now, but I'm still wanting to get something bigger for speed & cruising (with fuel economy).
Also, what sort of revs should I be at for best fuel economy (when not pulling skiers)? And how far should I let the motor run (as in revs) to get WOT?

Thanks d:)

Ron G

Commander

im not for sure with the merc but i think 6100 is okayespiacially if you pre mix,i think the recomend is around 5800.they can actually rev alot higher with different reeds in themand with pre-mix,but thats something for the merc gurus.see if ya can borrow around a 21p prop and see how that feels.it should put ya close,with a good cruising speed at a moderate rpms.the best fuel economy will be dictated aventually by the prop and how it likes to run.

Ron G

Commander

Ron said:
im not for sure with the merc but i think 6100 is okayespiacially if you pre mix,i think the recomend is around 5800.they can actually rev alot higher with different reeds in themand with pre-mix,but thats something for the merc gurus.see if ya can borrow around a 21p prop and see how that feels.it should put ya close,with a good cruising speed at a moderate rpms.the best fuel economy will be dictated aventually by the prop and how it likes to run.

200mark

Cadet

Thanks for that Ron. I'll see if I can find a 21P to borrow. If anyone in Australia is on this & can help, would be great, as I don't know many other boaties around Brisbane area. Thanks again for input. d:)

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark - I have experience with a '85 175hp and a 21" pitch Laser prop and can tell you the engine loves to run at 5,800-5,900 rpms and if you can find a Merc Laser to try, I think it is a very good ski prop.

Also - you will like the reduced rpm's at cruising speed.

Bob

200mark

Cadet

thanx Bob....I'll look around for something like that...Yeah I'd like a little lower revs for cruising & higher speed skiing & barefooting etc....